Strong Curves Bret Contreras

Options
Hey guys,

So I’m currently training for a half marathon which is scheduled for June next year. I thought it would be a good idea to add strength training to my routine. I run 3 times a week and I was hoping to strength train on the alternate 3 days.

I was just wondering if any one had done the Strong curves programme? Is it only focused on Glutes? I’d like a workout routine that encompasses a whole body workout. (I don’t want a skinny body and muscular bum, it’ll look weird 🙈😂)

I have noticed there’s a few exercises in there that works the other parts of the body but will it be enough?

I’m new to lifting weights so I’m sorry if this is a silly question.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    SC is a pretty good all around workout. You will get enough of the upper body. As well, a lot if the big lifts are considered full body, like deads and squats.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 2 of SC beginners and loving it! It's more challenging than it looks and it's focused on all body parts unless you do the butt only program. Add me if you want.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves is a fantastic program. While there is more emphasis on the lower body vs the upper, you will still be doing key upper exercises 3x per week. Just keep in mind because it is heavily lower focused, you may find a bit of a conflict with your marathon training, just make sure you keep that the priority and adjust your lifting if necessary.
  • rach__b
    rach__b Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks Girls! ☺️ I better buy the book and get started! Can’t wait
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your goals in the half marathon are--will having only 3 days of running per week be enough? Just something to think about...

Hal Higdon does have a training plan that incorporates lifting into a 3 day running schedule, but he does caveat that if you are new to lifting your should probably wait until after your half to incorporate it.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/half-marathon-3/
  • Anna022119
    edited April 2019
    Options
    0vb9mplzjctu.jpg
    And this is the result of two SC programs.
    About to finish the advanced one this week.

I went from flat to something that looks like a booty.

Good luck with the program!
  • Anna022119
    edited April 2019
    Options
    See above.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. It is a fully body routine with more emphasis on glutes. You will do 5 main lifts each workout, 3 lower body, 2 upper body. Plus some accessory/band/bodyweight type stuff at the end. If you use reddit, there is a subreddit called "Strong Curves" that I like a lot, people post progress photos and ask questions etc.