Protein

Options
Are quorn products a good way to introduce more protein into a diet? I’m eating too many carbs and not enough protein. But some people say eating more carbs and less protein is better? Advice needed.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    0.6- 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight is a good amount to help you maintain muscle as you lose weight.

I've never looked at the macros of quorn products to know if they are high in protein though.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    But some people say eating more carbs and less protein is better? Advice needed.

My advice is to be mindful that every person has different needs. Advice can only be general in nature.

I read all I can find on a topic- pro and con - and then evaluate it my own life.

For example I find MFP logging very helpful when looking at a week of activity. I can see how different levels of macros affect my sleep patterns, my weight loss/gain, and energy levels.

For six weeks going on seven I have been diligently targeting a daily calorie load spread over 50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein.
    Combined with IF, I have a steady downward trend in weight loss.

More importantly to me, I am eating foods I enjoy, prepared how I like them, and feeling satisfied after meals.

I don’t mind much a little hungry feeling at bedtime, because I know I will sleep very well if I resist food after 6pm.

My primary food and fitness goals are to establish habits that will last for the rest of my life.
    So
    No funny foods , or meal replacement shakes and bars, or aggressive exercise routines.

I am down 15 pounds since I started.

Good luck!
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For me personally Quorn is a must to even get close to my protein target, but I'm a vegeterian
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Are you eating dairy products? Milk, cheese and yogurt (especially greek yogurt) can often give you a boost in protein. I am over 50 and aim for 3 dairy servings per day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Are quorn products a good way to introduce more protein into a diet? I’m eating too many carbs and not enough protein. But some people say eating more carbs and less protein is better? Advice needed.

I agree with the goal of 0.6-0.8g protein daily per pound of body weight for an active person who's losing weight, but it should be calculated based on healthy goal weight, not an overweight body weight. (We don't need extra protein to maintain our fat mass; it's used to maintain lean body mass.)

If you like quorn, and it helps you meet your nutritional goals, sure, eat it. Personally, I don't like pseudo-meat products (even though I've been a vegetarian for 44 years ;) . . . there's nothing wrong with them, though: I just don't find them tasty).

Personally, I think the generic answer to "what can I eat to get more protein?" is always this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. If you're vegan/vegetarian, you'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top of the list, but you'll find plant-based sources further down the list.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You are best of getting your protein from whole food sources, such as beans and greens.