Who here can make good tacos??

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
edited October 2018 in Recipes
I need help. Whenever I use taco seasoning packets they taste nothing like tacos you'd get from a good mexican restaurant. I've just been making homemade taco seasoning from recipes that I find online but they all just taste like the packets from the grocery store. HELPPP. How is the right way to season beef for tacos? I understand that in Mexico, "chili powder" isn't really a thing, as far as I've heard. Any good cooks who can make good mexican food? Please share. Mexican is my favorite type of food but I always avoid making it at home because it's never very good :( Thanks!

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Maybe it’s the meat you’re using? I’d assume restaurants use higher fat content beef. I just make homemade seasoning put it on higher fat ground beef maybe add a little extra salt and it tastes exactly like restaurant tacos... not too difficult.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I used to own a burrito restaurant and we used taco seasoning from sams on the meat, cumin on the rice and either adobo or Cajun seasoning on the beans. For whatever reason the combo was amazing! Try some adobo first and see if that doesn't come closer to what flavor you are in search of.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Are you talking American tex mex tacos or actual Mexican street-style tacos?
  • redfeline1223
    redfeline1223 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm tacos 🤤
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I make good tacos, but I don't usually make the American ground beef in a hard shell type of taco, I do make Mexican tacos. I have no idea what spices they use in American restaurants for tacos.

Carne asada are my favorite...barbacoa is right up there...
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My wife makes the best tacos - she's 1/2 Mexican and was raised by her Mexican grandmother. We don't eat ground meat on tacos - ground meat is for tostadas, not tacos. Tacos are made from properly marinated and cooked steak, chicken or pork.

Her tostada seasoning is a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, pollo de rez, salt, pepper and chili powder (done a dash at a time until it tastes correct to her).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I make good tacos, but I don't usually make the American ground beef in a hard shell type of taco, I do make Mexican tacos. I have no idea what spices they use in American restaurants for tacos.

Carne asada are my favorite...barbacoa is right up there...

so I guess the meat is my problem. when I go to a mexican restaurant I order my meal with steak but at home I use ground beef because I'm super cheap. I'm afraid of spending the money on steak and then *kitten* it all up. But there are rare occasions that I order a plain ol' ground beef taco at a restaurant, like on a taco tuesday lunch outing, and they never taste like those taco seasoning packets.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    steak taco is usually made with cheaper cuts of beef like skirt steak but it may not be easy to find nor cheap where you are.
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    pollo de rez, .
    do you mean this?
    knorr_us_granulatedbouillon_latinflavors_chicken-792119.png

That's usually the "secret" ingredient (although the actual secret ingredient to Knorr seasoning is MSG).

As an alternative, you can just add a little more salt to your taco seasoning.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    steak taco is usually made with cheaper cuts of beef like skirt steak but it may not be easy to find nor cheap where you are.
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    pollo de rez, .
    do you mean this?
    knorr_us_granulatedbouillon_latinflavors_chicken-792119.png

That's usually the "secret" ingredient (although the actual secret ingredient to Knorr seasoning is MSG).

As an alternative, you can just add a little more salt to your taco seasoning.

I did have it wrong - she uses the Calda de Tomate which is like a dried tomato/chicken bullion mix.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My friend swears by this recipe.
    v4gwlnm0e5mx.jpeg
  • mamasita76028
    mamasita76028 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try using carnita meat or cubed steaks cut in strips
  • mamasita76028
    mamasita76028 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use this brand of seasoning, it's a liquid type. They come in lots of different flavors. The chicken taco is good too!1tzwgblb1apx.jpg
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have used that products other mixes they are very good.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Your subject line implies there are bad tacos...

Someone could get banned for that kind of thing.

I would strongly argue that tex mex style tacos are bad tacos, but that's me (among other people).
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My "tacos" probably would not be good enough for most...
    My Okie - redneck version
    Ground Venison...sometimes will add in wild hog
    1 can chopped green chilis per lb meat-sometimes use
    Cumin
    Chili Powder
    Oregano
    Garlic Powder
    Salt
    (all seasoning to taste)

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Search for Mexican street tacos recipes; I found some really good ones! I like this one:

https://www.blessthismessplease.com/chicken-tacos/
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    These two links from Serious Eats should be useful. The first one more than the second. You could also search Serious Eats for "tacos" (I've done that for you here) which will net you quite a number of results.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    A note about your comment that Mexican cooks do not use chili powder. This is correct in the same way that Indian cooks do not use curry powder. They sort of do, but they mix up the herbs and spices differently for each dish. Curry powder was originally created by Indian cooks in the employ of British officers. These officers wanted to take home the flavors they got used to in a form that their English cooks would understand. thus curry powder was born. Chili powder is kind of like that, it is a convenient way to get a certain flavor for those who do not cook as much. It is made up of: Ancho chili pepper, cumin, garlic and Mexican oregano. Hot chili powder has red pepper like cayenne in addition.

My recipe for beef taco meat:

24 oz(s), Top Round or sirloin tip roast
    1/4 c. water
    1 tbsp Ground ancho chili pepper
    1 tbsp Onion powder
    1 tbsp Ground Cumin
    1 tbsp Garlic Powder
    1 tbsp Paprika
    1 tsp Mexican oregano
    1 tbsp Cornstarch (used later to thicken juices)

Place the meat and seasonings in crockpot, pour water over. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove the meat and shred with 2 forks. Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth and stir into juices. Return meat to crockpot and stir. Can be served immediately or held on low for another hour or two.