Dr Pepper Addiction

Options
I've got a serious problem with Dr. Pepper. It's nothing for me to have at least 3 20oz bottles in a day, and that's probably on a conservative day. I need to lose some weight, but I think that is my biggest obstacle. I keep trying to start over and do good for a few days and then right back to my old habit. I got on the scale today and was only one pound less than my weight when I was nine months pregnant with my first child. I have got to get this under control. I have RA and my doctor has already told me it would help if I would lose weight. I do okay with exercise and am actually training for my first half-marathon in February. (I do walk/run intervals) I know I'm working against my training and it would be much better if I cut the soda, but I can't seem to do it. Anyone have any advice or success stories?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I used to drink Dr. Pepper daily (not as much as you, but still too many extra calories). I don't like Diet Dr. Pepper, so that wasn't going to work for me. I just tapered down, drank some tea (I don't like coffee), and started drinking more water. If I craved a fizzy drink, I'd have a carbonated juice drink. Watch out for caffeine withdrawals. If you don't replace it with another caffeinated drink, you'll want to taper slowly.

After drinking mainly water for a few months, my skin looked amazing and I found I wasn't craving Dr. Pepper any more. I have one very occasionally (maybe every few months) but no longer miss it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They make diet DP

They even make caffeine free regular and Diet Dr. Pepper!

OP, my advice would be to switch to diet DP. If you are getting yours out of a vending machine that does not have diet, switch to a different diet soda or bring your own. If you can't stand the taste, wean yourself down and find something low or no calorie that you do like the taste of that you can use as a substitute.

Remember that Dr. Pepper has caffeine so if you decide to stop drinking it cold turkey you need to start drinking something else with caffeine like coffee or take caffeine pills and wean yourself off with those.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    For the record and from a fellow Dr. Pepper lover, as I mentioned in my post above I hate Diet Dr. Pepper. However, Diet A&W root beer is great! I don't drink it often, but it's by far the best tasting diet soda version I've tried (no caffeine, though).

I drink A&W Diet everyday. Very low acid for those with reflux issues.
  • aslane55
    aslane55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions and advice! I can't stand diet DP, but may need to just substitute that or Coke Zero if I want one. I haven't been great about logging. I think I reached the point this morning where I know that tracking and being intentional about it will be the only way I do this!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Definitely start tracking. Even if over your calorie goal to make yourself accountable. Then start making small changes. If you currently drink 20 oz bottles, switch to 16 ounce bottles or 12 ounce cans for a while to step down the calories slowly. Or swap one serving for a bottle of water initially. You might find it easier to cut back initially instead of abrupt stop.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    aslane55 wrote: »
    .... I haven't been great about logging. I think I reached the point this morning where I know that tracking and being intentional about it will be the only way I do this!

I want to add my support for your conclusion regarding intentional tracking.

It has worked wonders for me - and I almost always use MFP food logging to plan my meal BEFORE I even start to put portions of anything on a plate.

I start by looking at how many calories I have left in the 'bank'.
    Then I look at the Nutrition charts for Macros - and use this information to plan the next eating event. This really helps to stay on target to meet the goals. I strive to have each eating event contain the same balanced assortment of the macros. This helps me to avoid odd imbalances when dinner time rolls around.

Your carb/fat/protein goals may differ from mine; that's fine; MFP lets us customize our account to help us stay true to our individual targets.

Along with dedicated logging of everything i eat and drink, I also restrict my eating to between 7am and 6pm, and, I eat the bulk of my daily calories between 7am and 2pm. Dinner is almost always just a big pile of vegetables. (last night was 2 cups of steamed broccoli, a cup of raw cauliflower, and a raw red sweet pepper). These is my personal program I call "Nutritious Fuel in 3-steps".

I find it extremely helpful to think of food as FUEL. It is easier for me to ignore the marketing associated with food items that are often full of refined grains, added sugars, artificial sweeteners and flavors and colors, and other items of questionable value nutritionally.

good fitness to us all!
  • Dweaver73
    Dweaver73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just found small packets which you can add to water to make it taste like DP, but way healthier. Maybe try looking for something like that? Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Dweaver73 wrote: »
    A friend of mine just found small packets which you can add to water to make it taste like DP, but way healthier. Maybe try looking for something like that? Good luck!

Wait, what? Packets that make your water taste like Dr Pepper? Including carbonation?
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of diet drinks either! I also find there is NO substitution for a certain soda craving. Do you drink them at certain times? I'd start out buying smaller bottles. If you can't buy a smaller bottle, then forcing yourself to spill a little out as soon as you open it. I hate "wasting" good money I spent on food, but you will be saving money in the long run by getting healthier. I will try to share mine with someone so I drink less. I'll also use a tiny straw so I drink it slower, or try to drink it so slow it goes flat. Sometimes I get my drink and put it right next to a glass of water.

It used to be my go-to stress release and I drank it every day. Now, I can usually substitute with tea. But, I still have cravings every once and a while, and I totally let myself enjoy it when I "need" it. It's like a can a month, though, and I never drink the whole can.

I also agree with the tracking, that is a good start. The best start.
  • pinuplove
    Options

Wait, what? Packets that make your water taste like Dr Pepper? Including carbonation?

Mmmm, flat Dr. Pepper! :tongue:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I need to know more. I already have the SodaStream to carbonate my water.
  • pinuplove
    edited October 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I need to know more. I already have the SodaStream to carbonate my water.

As a Dr. Pepper snob (Sonic fountain or real sugar from a can, please) I have my skeptical pants on :lol: