Losing focus on the "Now".

So this is my first entry on the forums. I started my weight loss journey back in mid-september. Things are going very well as I am now down 22lbs and staying strong and motivated. They one thing I've noticed is that I am so focused on my goals and my day to day plan that I am losing focus on the "Now" or present moment. To add some personal context to that statement, it is important to know that I am a total "Data" geek. I love numbers, stats and spreadsheets.

What I am struggling with is that I am so focused on my goal that I am not 100% present emotionally when I'm with my family and friends. They will be talking about there day and all I am thinking about is losing the next pound. Even when I am tucking in my daughter I am thinking of my next work-out. I've got a long journey to reach my goal weight (180 lbs) and I do not want to lose out on the day to day joys outside of the gym and outside of my weight loss journey.

Has anyone else experienced this type of scenario.

Jamie

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I think like anything new one can tend to hyper focus.

You have only been losing for a month or so so it is still a world of learning new skills.

Food wise; weighing food, learning which entries are correct, and how to check the USDA, or MFG data, entering recipes so you have a good base of all your most frequently eaten meals, and just good accurate logging habits, making sure your nutritional goals are met, and your satiated.

Exercise wise; getting a good rhythm going and finding what you like to do, finding a good long term exercise goal that can be built upon, or take you into maintenance and beyond, logging your calories and eating back those calories and using your own data to assess whether your device or MFP are giving you the correct number of calories to eat back, then fine tuning as you drop weight.

Yup, the first few months can be a bit like getting a. Rand new toy for Christmas, everything needs exploring and can be fascinating.

Use this time to establish good habits to get you trough losing your 180lbs and into a sustainable maintenance.

The flush of a new adventure wears off and having a good plan to move forward will be needed.

Let those (your partner?) in your household know you are a little over-focused at the moment, if you feel there may be some tension, but otherwise, I'd say you are not unusual.

Cheers, h.