can't deadlift?

Options
I went to a trial session with a personal training. I told him that my interest was in lifts. During my workout with the trainer, I was able to deadlift 100 lbs, which I think is "typical" for a beginner woman? But then he told me that I shouldn't attempt on my own, and that I need at least 6 months of training before I can deadlift in the gym. I don't want to continue with personal training sessions. I just can't justify the cost. I am intimidated by the gym as it is, but I really want to incorporate deadlifts and some sort of 5x5 training routine. There wasn't anything bad with my form, I think. So, is that it unless I get a personal trainer?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Trying to sell you 6 months of sessions is BS. I personally did a trial at a crossfit gym. $30 for 10 sessions. For a certified coach to help with lifting. Ok.... ended up falling in love and never leaving the gym.
    But this might be a way to start with Lifting.

If you can train yourself and be careful that would probably be fine
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    That....sounds like bs to me. I had one session with a personal trainer who actually LISTENED to my desire to focus on basic Olympic lifts (and understood I wasn't interested in hearing any weight loss, hiit stuff that they love to sell to women they correctly or incorrectly assume are uneducated about the benefits of lifting), and he walked me through each of them. I started from doing 30lb deadlifts to 100lbs in less than 2 months. He sees me in the gym regularly and is very encouraging, never ONCE has he said I need to scale it back, up to SIX months, jeez. He just gave me a high five today and was really excited that I've started sl 5x5.

If you have good form, and you're on a reasonable progressive lifting program, I don't see what the problem is.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Pfft, 6 months! Did he say what would happen if you deadlift in the gym without 6 months of experience? Does the gym require members to sign an attestation stating that they have 6 months of experience lifting weights before they're allowed to deadlift? Sounds like an arbitrary rule made up by the trainer. I'd ignore it unless there's something about it in the gym contract or rules.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Nope. As long as you're careful with form, you can head right into a 5x5 program. It does help to have someone check your form when starting out so you don't create bad habits. But, there is no reason to wait six months to be able to do it on your own. Heck, people here can check your form through video if you need it.

He's trying to scare you into six months of sessions.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I call BS as well. He just wants to sell you training sessions. You can already deadlift! Run away or find another trainer, if you feel you need 1 or 2 sessions for pointers.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Yoh DO need need instruction on proper DL form.
    You don't need 6 months of it.

Remember, with something like DL form is EVERYTHING, especially the heavier you go. Unfortionately, even experienced people make mistakes sometimes - I just did 1 rep with less than perfect form yesterday and I am now paying for it and probably have to take a few weeks off from DLing. Something I've done literally thousands of times, and yet I still screwed up.

Take your time, find someone who knows how to teach you proper - doesn't have to be a trainer, it could be the big guy in your gym you just watched DL 5 plates with impeccable form.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I went to a trial session with a personal training. I told him that my interest was in lifts. During my workout with the trainer, I was able to deadlift 100 lbs, which I think is "typical" for a beginner woman? But then he told me that I shouldn't attempt on my own, and that I need at least 6 months of training before I can deadlift in the gym. I don't want to continue with personal training sessions. I just can't justify the cost. I am intimidated by the gym as it is, but I really want to incorporate deadlifts and some sort of 5x5 training routine. There wasn't anything bad with my form, I think. So, is that it unless I get a personal trainer?

Great sales pitch. If you have the space to train at home go for it. You may spend a little more up front on equipment but in the long run you'll save money and time. Do yourself a favour and buy a 3/4" thick 4 x 6 rubber horse stall mat so you don't damage the floor dropping your weights (if you want to get really fancy you can make a homemade deadlift platform with 3 shhets of plywood and yor rubber mat.....there are instructional videos on YouTube)
  • kami3006
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    He is lying to your face. Period.

99% of trainer's in comercial gyms do not have a clue on how to train people. I've literally been to hundreds of gyms over decades of training and unfortunately it's the game.

Gyms encourage bad programming so people will buy more training.

Unfortunately every certification people can acquire doesn't make them a good trainer.

I trained at a comercial gym last year that the head trainer ran up to me explaining I was squatting wrong by leaning far to forward. I calmly pulled out my ear buds and told him it's called a low bar squat. He replied, "Low bar?".
    "Yes, the style I used when I broke my own squat record in a USAPL meet a few weeks ago".

Find a novice program. I currently suggest either StartingStrength or Greyskull will be okay since they are the most simple and appropriate amount of stimulas for a novice and run it.

Wow, had not heard of a low bar squat? Thank you for the laugh on an otherwise gloomy day. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I did deadlift under the instructions of a trainer. A while later, I started just forgetting things about form. I could not feel anything was wrong but I did have people point out that I would hurt myself. I accepted the criticism but still could not correct it myself, without a trainer. I cannot say that you need X months, but for sure getting it right once or twice is not enough to actual have the correct form all the time. Form is not just knowing what to do in theory, or even doing it right a few times, but being in the habit of doing it right, which takes time.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Interesting!!!!
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I’ll keep it short. Bs. I had never lifted a weight, joined a gym, told them I wanted to do all weights. Deadlifted on day 1 with some advice. Asked a few times for the staff on the gym floor to check my form here and there. Unless you’re doing something dangerous, and I suspect you did just fine, they’re talking crap. Look around. Find a better gym. There are good ones out there. If you’re starting out, don’t try to go heavy weight, take it easy, work on your form, do some research. Wonder if a guy would have had the same advice.............
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Having a good trainer can be helpful, but you can learn something on your own if you film yourself, research, identify your problems and work out how to fix them. This guy isn't a good trainer
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Horse *kitten*. Only lifts I consider to be ones that need a trainer are olympic lifts, just based on how technical they are.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. I learnt how to lift at a lifting gym when I used to work next door to one. The lady I trained with was an Olympic lifter and she put me straight in the deep end. I didn't have to wait six months. Just get someone to check your form every now and then and you will be fine :smile:
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    He must be an awful trainer if he can't get your deadlift form correct in under 6 months. I would be worried about his competency in teaching the deadlift in the first place. You might want to check his advice against other well known trainers who have deadlift tutorials.
  • Eternally_Hers
    Eternally_Hers Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd really recommend looking up Athlean X on YouTube. He's a physical therapist and pro athlete trainer that I've been following for the last year of my training. He's one of the most credible fitness guys on YouTube. He also has a deadlift check list video if you want to check it out for proper form.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Sounds like his way of getting you to pay for 6 months of training.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Would love to hear from the OP again.

What did you decide on?
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Would love to hear from the OP again.

What did you decide on?

I decided against the 6 months personal training, especially with any trainer from that gym. The personal trainer in question is the manager of personal training...

It took me a lot of courage to ask for a personal training session, and the goal was to walk me through the weights/ equipment section so that I can do some lifts on my own. It was more of a confidence boost than anything because I have watched a lot of videos and I do some lifts but with light weights in bodypump. Now I did go back and I attempted to do my own workout, and I did feel a little more at ease this time around. My problem is that I am so self-conscious and I want to know that I don't look ridiculous or breaking some rules that I'm not aware of.