"if every day were like today..."

beware that line of encouragement, "if every day were like today...", when you click the button to complete the day's entry.
If you change anything but the total calories remain the same the amount of weight you will lose in 5 weeks (at least that's what mine says) fluctuates.

For example, I completed my entries for the day and clicked the button and my 5 week weight stated 251.9 lbs. I then removed an entry and then decided to add the same one back in. Now the total reads 252.5 lbs. Curious that I was, I decided to remove the item again to see if the number changed again and it did, to 253.2 lbs. Don't rely on it...the item I deleted/reduced was worth 400 calories and instead of reducing the "5 week" number, it increased it!

Replies

• long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 179 Member
    I use a spreadsheet, recommended from here to help me understand how accurate the prediction is. Ping me and I will share. It is a Google doc and requires daily weigh ins for five weeks and one day before it starts working.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Long how does it project? Polynomial plus constant? Is bone mass accounted for (as the constant)?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I just ignore it....since every day is NOT going to be like today. I eat a variety of foods over the course of a few days, and some days I exercise, and some days I don’t, and now and then I go over my calories. And that’s all ok.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    anl90 wrote: »
    I know that is not necessarily accurate, but it still is motivational to me, in that it lets me know I am doing something right, and that if I keep up with what I am doing the weight will come off...eventually. lol

I find my weight trending app is more motivating than that message. It gives me my rates of loss for the week/month/3 months/6 months/year based on my actual weight loss and an estimated date I'll reach my goal.
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    I found it motivational until I ate in excess yesterday (two weight training sessions and I just needed some carbs!). Wow 😳 Good thing everyday is NOT like yesterday!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It's just an interesting factoid. Everyday is not like today, for better or worse.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    I just think MFP should change it to read something like "if everyday were like today...you will be well on your way to achieving your goals." I find it frustrating that the numbers they post are highly inaccurate...at least for me even though I am on target and have very few fluctuations in diet and exercise.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    It is in no way meant to be an accurate projection. There is no way to "predict" weight loss. Everyone's body reacts differently to different things. Nobody is ever going to lose exactly that number. But it can be useful in showing how certain choices have the ability to affect your weight loss for better or worse.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It is in no way meant to be an accurate projection. There is no way to "predict" weight loss. Everyone's body reacts differently to different things. Nobody is ever going to lose exactly that number. But it can be useful in showing how certain choices have the ability to affect your weight loss for better or worse.

Again that's why i think it should be changed to a more generic motivator. When I first started tracking I was genuinely excited to learn that in just 5 weeks I could potentially lose 22 pounds. Not even close yet my numbers have not changed in terms of exercise and caloric intake...certainly not to the tune of a difference of 7 pounds. I lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks.

I guess my point is it's nice to have something to motivate you but it needs to be more generic/realistic.