Walking ok at a 1/2 marathon?

Once upon a time I was an athlete. 26 surgeries after an accident and not so much. I used to run and really enjoy it. I have a permanently dislocated pelvis now. That has caused balance, hip and knee problems. I can walk, quickly, forever. When I start running, I begin limping very quickly. So...my question is whether walking (15 minute mile) is frowned upon in charity races? I am going to be in Scotland in May with a group of amazing people. Several of them are participating in a charity event, Stirling for Bloodwise. It’s a 1/2 marathon and marathon. I want to participate but wonder if walking the entire thing would be taboo.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    They sometimes have an upper limit on times and you could run into traffic being allowed on streets toward the end if you exceed it. But a 15 minute mile might be within those limits at a charity event. Lots of people run/walk/run/walk/...
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    They sometimes have an upper limit on times and you could run into traffic being allowed on streets toward the end if you exceed it. But a 15 minute mile might be within those limits at a charity event. Lots of people run/walk/run/walk/...

Thank you. I’ve checked for time limit rules and I don’t see any.
  • chapmaja
    chapmaja Posts: 1 Member
    I know several marathons in the U.S. have specific set time limits due to road closures, while others stay "open" until the last runner finishes. This weekend's Detroit Marathon for example has a specific pace you must meet or they will pull you. This is due to the fact it crosses two international boarder crossings, the Ambassador Bridge and the Detroit-Windsor tunnel. Keeping two major international border crossings closed for an extend period would be frowned upon. I think the cut is like a 13:30 per mile pace.

The best bet is to check with race organizers to see if they have a time limit.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    My guess is you won’t be the only walker. Enjoy!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’ve walked a half and many runners walk part of it. If you’re within the time limit it’s allowed. Even if you’re over the time limit it’s not”frowned upon”. It just means the course will be opened up and the finish line might be taken down.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Once upon a time I was an athlete. 26 surgeries after an accident and not so much. I used to run and really enjoy it. I have a permanently dislocated pelvis now. That has caused balance, hip and knee problems. I can walk, quickly, forever. When I start running, I begin limping very quickly. So...my question is whether walking (15 minute mile) is frowned upon in charity races? I am going to be in Scotland in May with a group of amazing people. Several of them are participating in a charity event, Stirling for Bloodwise. It’s a 1/2 marathon and marathon. I want to participate but wonder if walking the entire thing would be taboo.

I've seen people walk short distance ultramarathons.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

At pretty much any distance race there will be a large contingent of walkers. I'm pretty sure that you'll have plenty of company. Jus make sure you line up in the correct corral (most races are seeded based on estimated finish times) and have fun.

I've seen people walk short distance ultramarathons.

There's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one! 😂😂😂 Walking 50 km or more would be challenging even for relatively fit people.

It is. Particularly on trails.
  • debrakgoogins
    I officially started training today. I’m following the Fat to First Mile program then I’ll move to the higher runs. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    have fun
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    You may want to check if they have an entry for power walkers/ race walking. I know they do in the marathon in my city and have dedicated start times and locations. They also plan for having the course open for enough time to accommodate race walkers. I hope you have fun!
  • debrakgoogins
    The only thing I have found is the half and full marathon. There doesn’t appear to be a max pace or cut off time for either.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Even in the states the cutoff is usually between 15-16 minute mile -- if you can walk a 15 minute mile that's awesome. I average about 14:30 miles for a half marathon by walking and running -- my walking pace is much slower so I have to run more and walk less.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    The only thing I would add is when you get to race day, try to start toward the back if you plan to walk. You're going to have a better time if you don't have lots of runners passing you. Just let them go in front and do their own thing. Plenty of people will walk all or part of the race, so you should have company. In my first half marathon, I ran until about mile 9 and then run/walked the rest of the way. There were plenty of people who started walking before I did.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    The only thing I would add is when you get to race day, try to start toward the back if you plan to walk. You're going to have a better time if you don't have lots of runners passing you. Just let them go in front and do their own thing. Plenty of people will walk all or part of the race, so you should have company. In my first half marathon, I ran until about mile 9 and then run/walked the rest of the way. There were plenty of people who started walking before I did.

My last half there were 2 girls walking within half a mile of the start, saying "What have we got ourselves in to". I wonder if they actually finished....
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Check the website of the event and see if they have a mile time limit. If not, then walking should be fine.
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    I am a walker and have walked many half marathons and several full marathons. There are quite a number of events that are walker friendly. Charity events are usually walker friendly because they want to be inclusive and raise money. You may be surprised at the number of people (and highly fit people) joining you if you decide to walk. Everyone is there for fitness in their own way and supports each other. I enjoy participating in the events when I can fit them into my schedule. Good luck!