Need suggestions to stop boredom snacking

Options
2»

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Okay so I USED to think I ate when bored. Actually, I am rarely bored, and that's an easy problem to solve. I eat when FRUSTRATED.
    I know of people who exercise at work....they do it wherever they can, at their desks, in the bathroom, in the stairs, etc.
    Now that I know I might overeat when frustrated, I am going to try going on a bike ride or something.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't work a call center per se, but I do a lot reports for our customers who call in, so I have to stay near the phones. I go through 64 oz water or more through an 8 hour ****, so after awhile I can't hold it.

I thought of using bubble gum to distract me... might be an idea..

I would really advise you not get into a gum-chewing habit if you talk to customers all day. Nothing worse than talking to someone who is chawing in your ear the whole time. Not sure your fellow cubicle dwellers want to hear it, either.
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to snack at work and was unhappy with my health but still eating junk food because I was bored. I found for me I just had to stop myself and rethink the process. Was this what I wanted? If you are happy being where you are then keep doing what you are doing. If you are unhappy then you need to consciously work on changing your habits.

For me, routine works. I have breakfast at work (1.5% fat cottage cheese) and maybe a banana and coffee. Lunch at 1130. A lowfat hot chocolate if I want something sweet (high in sugar, I know, but I am still working on cutting back my sugar intake.) Sparkling water is good as it can replace the fizzy drinks more adequately than still water can.

Having emergency snacks in case you MUST eat is good. I have walnuts, tuna packets, instant miso soup in case I have to gnaw on something to maintain my sanity.

The biggest thing I have found is if it feels like a punishment it isn't going to work. Give yourself options that you like.

Also, I have an overweight colleague who has been complaining about her weight for years while simultaneously eating boatloads of crap that she bakes at home and brings to work to spread the calories. I find her inability to change her intake and exercise habits as a motivator to avoid ending up like her - being unhappy but refusing to seek change. It may not be the kindest motivator but it works for me. (For the record her being overweight isn't the motivator - to each their own - it is her complaining about it while keeping the same habits.)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Yah done the water thing.. LOL Problem is water comes in... water has to go out! :bigsmile:

Going to the loo will then give you something to do!!!!!
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you like carrots try them. Just take the time to chew thoroughly and you'd be surprised how long they last. Of course water is a huge help. If you add protein to your diet it will help curb the appetite.