Rotator cuff surgery recovery

Options
DebDebInCT
DebDebInCT Posts: 9 Member
I had a full tear in my right rotator cuff and had surgery oct 17. I’m doing well but am unable to exercise that I want. Yesterday I walked and sit 20 min on bike. Does anyone have any suggestions on exercises so I don’t lose my motivation?

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I had a torn rotator cuff along with repair surgery 8 years ago. I had physical therapy before and after the surgery for a total of 6 months. It still took a year for me to have full range of motion and several years to regain my strength.

I would say that the best things that helped me recover fully were physio, yoga and strength training. But definitely follow the regime your doc gave you. I wasn't even ready for yoga or strength training, on my own, for months.

In the meantime, maybe get in some walks or light hikes.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I agree you must follow your medical advice. You will get back into your regime. I know shoulder issues are dredfully debilitiating. (Getting back after a frozen shoulder.) the very worst thing you can do is try to rush things.
  • MegaTunez11
    MegaTunez11 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Focus on legs.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I second MegaTunez11, focus on lower body work. I will be having a shoulder replacement this coming Spring and right now, I'm unable to use my dominant side shoulder because it's bone-on-bone with bone spurs....super painful. So, since I can hold a weight at waist level, I do squats, bridges, deadlifts and reverse roll outs.
    For cardio, I walk my Pyrenees twice daily and do hill repeats on my own and use my Spinning bike but spend most of the time sitting up because of my shoulder.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Please be careful and don't try to overdo it too soon. Listen to your doctor and do your PT for now. I wouldn't worry about working out too much right now. Your body has been under a lot recently and you're too new out of surgery to be thinking about what you can do in the gym. Focus on nutrition and short walks for now. Heal soon friend. My husband had this surgery in March and it was a SOB to recover from. His doctor told him to only do PT until othwerwise told to do more.