Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

GMO Edible Cotton Seed

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
Developed at a university, this modified plant has the potential to produce more protein than all the chickens in the world.

Areas where cotton is grown often has high malnutrition rates as well, so this cash crop could give back to the farmer in new ways.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2018/10/19/17995544/edible-cotton-science-gmo-texas

Apparently it tastes a little like hummus.

Would you try it?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. I'd be curious about the quality of the protein though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would try! In fact, if I had access to it and it tasted good, I would eat it daily. I could really use some tasty protein.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would try it, depending on the form. Probably not the milk-like version but the chopped nut version might be good sprinkled on a salad.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I’d be really curious about the protein profile too. Without the toxin I’m guessing cotton is pretty tasty.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'd try it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Then we could use the term, "cotton-mouth," with some legitimacy. :)

I'd try it!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    This isn’t shaping up to be much of a debate. Where are the no-GMO folks hiding?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    On another note my daughter told me she’s interested in planting Quinoa next year. I warned her that Quinoa is a relative to the goosefoot plant and it naturally has a soapy layer to discourage grazing. She’ll have to be doing a lot of washing before she can eat the seed.

Somehow my toxin-wary daughter is not at all worried about the natural Quinoa toxins.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    What about pesticide levels? I was under the impression that because cotton is generally not considered a food crop, the pesticides aren't regulated to the degree they would be for, say, corn or olive oil. This was a while ago, though, and I'm not sure whether it's still the case or whether it was always alarmist woo.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'd assume if it were grown for food, they'd start treating it with food-grade pesticides.

I'm always on the lookout for veggie sources of protein. I'm curious about the protein quality, and depending on that and the protein/calorie ratio, I'd give it a try.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Sure I'd try it. I'm not much into seeds, but I'd have no qualms if it was an ingredient in something I was eating.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Heck all nuts are overgrown seeds. Corn, too.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    cotton seeds are way too high in omega-6 fatty acids.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I suspect GMO sources of protein will become much more common as climate change gets worse, causing massive drought and global food insecurity. Most of us will be dead by then, but our kids and grandkids.... :(
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news for those in areas with little to no arable land. Increasing crop diversity is high on the priority list.