Exercise calories?

Options
How many exercise calories does everyone eat back? 50%, 75% or 100%?

Replies

• LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Between 0-50%
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I also eat probably 0-50 as well depending on my hunger level. I find most calorie burn estimates to be very inflated so I tend to err on the low side.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat back those necessary to meet my protein target. I don't do that as often as I exercise, though.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am very sedentary and my exercise is pretty much just walking (3 to 4 times a week) and body weight exercises. I consider that neither burns enough to make a difference so I don't eat back.

So far for WL set to 1.5 lbs per week I have lost like 1.6 per week over 7 weeks so that checks out. I will adjust if/when I start exercising more and/or WL rate is markedly different from what I expect.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'll eat back about 50% when they are on the higher side 600 to 1200+
    Under the 600 calorie mark, I'll ensure my protein intake for the day is achieved.
    I am still in a calorie deficit mode in the my "lifestyle adjustment".
    Will have to reassess these numbers once I hit maintenance mode.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting. I’ve normally eaten back all my exercise calories back especially on the days that I lift weights and walk for one hour. I’m definitely rethinking that now. I think I’ll eat 50% of them back now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Hmmm interesting. I’ve normally eaten back all my exercise calories back especially on the days that I lift weights and walk for one hour. I’m definitely rethinking that now. I think I’ll eat 50% of them back now.

And did you lose at the expected rate eating them all back?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    100% - just like you will need to do when you get to maintenance.

Do you really think your estimates are double reality or is there some other reason?
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    At least half, over the week. Often all if I am hungry but I'm not always hungry after my normal calories plus half the exercise calories.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

And did you lose at the expected rate eating them all back?

Nope I’ve been in a deficit again for 5 weeks and haven’t lost anything. I’m stuck at 151-152lbs. I’ve been eating between 1500-1800 calories depending on my hunger and exercise intensity. Maybe I should wait abit? Digestion is slow these days too and my period is starting in 6 days but I was hoping for a small loss.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I edit the calories burned from the estimates, generally to about 60%. So I eat 100% of the corrected (sort of, I think) calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    100% while losing, 100% during my 9yr maintenance.

I would have been undernourished and underfuelled if I hadn't (my NEAT would have dropped to compensate for my exercise energy expenditure).

MFP's exercise cal counts to begin with, an averaging out of personal data later.
    (The numbers were within 25cals)

Cheers, h.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    100% if I want them, and still lost faster than predicted (have been more in a maintenance mode for quite a while).
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It depends, if I've accidentally went over at breakfast or lunch then I have to eat back the exercise calories or I don't get to eat dinner. If I get to dinner and I've run out of calories, I will exercise more to gain some. Either way it balances out.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I don't log my exercise calories anymore (on maintenance). I only log the time that I spend working out at the gym and taking classes.

Being small, short and old, and not being able to exercise at the same level as I used to, I don't burn that many calories. I calculated my own TDEE, as the max calories to eat per day. Sometimes I meet them, sometimes I am short, and if I eat more during the weekend or when I am hungry, I am still good. I do try to meet my macros, specially protein. So far this approach has worked OK.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is as many of them as I need to not feel hungry.