Weight Watchers or Intermittent Fasting approach

Options
Hey guys! Trying to decide whether to rejoin WW or join a program where a nutritionist helps you with healthy eating using intermittent fasting and carb cycling. What are your thoughts? I’ve done WW before, but this other approach seems intriguing for someone in their mid 40’s wanting to learn the proper way to fuel my body to lose fat and inches.

Replies

• LongevityRob
    LongevityRob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead nailed it.

With that said, given your intrigue in the intermittent fasting and carb cycling program I'd explore that.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It all really depends on you. IF and carb cycling seems to be the hot topic lately. But weight loss is really about calories. Is there something about this plan that makes you think it would be more sustainable for you? Some have great success with IF in meeting their calorie goals. Others may feel too restricted. Since you have done WW in the past is there something about WW that is appealing to you? Some have success on WW as well while others find it too restrictive. Think about your own eating preferences and what is best for your lifestyle, personality, and budget.
  • long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lost weight previously with WW. It worked well when I was younger, but it tempted me to cheat: I woul eat all my points in sweets! I would explore something different.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

AnvilHead wrote: »
    Whichever approach is most satisfying to you and allows you to stick to your calorie goal will be the most successful approach. No matter what you do, it all comes down to calories.

Yep, it’s all about the calories. I do IF, I eat two meals a day because I like bigger meals and the feeling of being full.

^this. It seems silly now that I was having 3 meals and a snack or 2 and was never really satisfied. With 2 meals I can have a lot larger meals (I basically combine my breakfast and lunch calories into one big meal, then have my dinner).
  • rorytait
    rorytait Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rorytait wrote: »
    Plenty of new research suggests that calories are not the primary driver of weight gain, it's insulin. Fasting significantly reduces insulin levels, so does a low carbohydrate high fat diet. Give it a try!

Not reputable, evidence-based research. You're talking about crackpots like Fung and Taubes, and their "research" has been shot full of holes by legitimate researchers who actually understand physiology - and aren't peddling books/diet products.

Well we all have our confirmation biases. I suggest OP look into it for herself, it's certainly a long way down the rabbit hole when you dig into the science of nutrition. I will just say that I went from 210 to 185 in under 3 months with a mix of IF and LCHF based on Fung's dietary suggestions so it certainly worked for me. from 16% BF to 10%. I look better now at 41 than I did at 21. Just my N of 1
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Plenty of new research suggests that calories are not the primary driver of weight gain, it's insulin. Fasting significantly reduces insulin levels, so does a low carbohydrate high fat diet. Give it a try!

Not reputable, evidence-based research. You're talking about crackpots like Fung and Taubes, and their "research" has been shot full of holes by legitimate researchers who actually understand physiology - and aren't peddling books/diet products.

Well we all have our confirmation biases. I suggest OP look into it for herself, it's certainly a long way down the rabbit hole when you dig into the science of nutrition. I will just say that I went from 210 to 185 in under 3 months with a mix of IF and LCHF based on Fung's dietary suggestions so it certainly worked for me. from 16% BF to 10%. I look better now at 41 than I did at 21. Just my N of 1

Well done. You found a great weight loss tool which made it easier to keep within a calorie deficit. That is a huge part of the battle. The bigger battle is maintenance as what you do needs to be sustainable. This is the undoing of so many so I wish you all the best for that part of your journey.

You may find the success stories quite enlightening as you will find just how many have achieved similar results with huge varieties in their macros and food choices. It never ceases to amaze me just how two people can be so different with what best works for them to most easily eat at a deficit.

psst .... Dr Fung is one of the most unreliable places to get any information. It is as bad as relying on Joseph Mercola for vaccination advice. In saying that he probably has some bad dietary advice on that site too.