Hairy

Options
I've been on MFP for about 3 months now and I've already shed 10 kg (22 lbs) which I'm ecstatic about. However, I've noticed that since the weight loss my body hair has increased significantly which doesn't bother me since I'm a guy, but is there any reason as to why this could be happening?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »
    I’m going with increased testosterone. My gf actually said to me the other day that my chest looked hairier now that I’ve lost weight. I know having a hairy chest isn’t the fashion but as a real Scotsman I don’t care, keeps you warm!
    In my own humble, personal, opinion as a female appreciator of male appearance, it's nice when men have some body hair going on. Especially chest hair. It's sexy. ;)

I totally agree. I love da hair!
  • summersongfox
    summersongfox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well.... extreme weight loss can also cause the body to develop extra hair as a coping mechanism to retain heat. It's one of the side effects/symptoms of anorexia. You are losing weight at almost 2 pounds per week, which is only recommended if you are at a very high starting weight. So, if you weren't starting at a particularly high weight... you might be stressing your body out. Maybe ask a friend on here to look over your numbers?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »
    Less skin so all they hair follicles have to move to where’s left! 😆

I think you were joking but I also think this is true in a way. When you have more surface area, the hair is spread out more than when you have less surface area. When you've lost weight, the hair would be more dense, which makes it seem like more hair.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    not claiming or suggesting you are anorexic, but anorexics do become hairy esp grow peach fuzz. its called 'lango' maybe this is just how your body is reacting to the change in your diet. http://eatingdisorders.com/articles/anorexia/anorexia-and-hair-growth