Out of control

Options
Hey I have some friends on here and have been on here a whole but I am 300lbs at 5ft 2inches. I already have poor health which isn't related to my weight at all but I get really down and comfort eat more. I haven't got to this point without having a real problem with food. I can't throw myself into exercise but I can eat right. I have been far my whole life and don't really eat or like much fruit and veg. I am utterly ashamed. Has anyone been in this position and found control again as I am just broken at the minute. Please don't judge if you haven't been in this position. Any advice will be appreciated.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can’t say I’ve been in the same position as you but I did used to be a really picky eater. I was not a fan of a lot of healthy foods. But I’ve really learned that trying different cooking techniques is important in figuring out how you can make veggies taste better. I hate a lot of raw vegetables but I’ve found ways to enjoy them cooked. Broccoli is great in a stir-fry, I usually steam them first so they are pretty soft when I add them. Brussels sprouts are great chopped up and sautéed with a bit of bacon. You just have to keep trying them different ways and eventually you’ll find some you enjoy.

I also feel like I have a lot more control over my diet when I weigh and log everything but also when I keep up with my journaling. I’m an emotional eater but journaling gives me a place to dump all my feelings rather than eating my feelings.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    So I haven't been in this position but I wanted to keep the ball rolling. First of all, there is nothing to be ashamed about, and nothing you can do about the past. Just start making small, easy steps forward until you gain some momentum.

I am not saying you need to do this, but if you suspect you have any type of depression or compulsion that is driving your comfort eating, seeking counseling can help tremendously.

Try to brainstorm other easy things you can do to lift your mood - queue up your fave song on your phone, watch kittens on YT, take a quick walk around the yard, text a friend, do a crossword puzzle, play Candy Crush, whatever. Leave reminders of these alternatives where you would typically comfort eat.

The best habit I got into was pre-logging my food. I didn't eat or drink anything before logging it, and seeing the numbers in black and white can really help.

You don't need to change everything all at once. It's okay to start slow and with baby steps. Read the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum. Hang in there and good luck :drinker:
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hi, well you have found the right place with lots of people with lots of experience with eating unhealthy and wanting to make changes.
    You will no doubt get some great advice from many of the long time people on here with thousands of posts under their belt and vast knowledge, I have learned tons from them.

And I get it, I am a T2 Diabetic for 17 years. I started in May 2018 at 305 am 5 ft 9. And can tell you that weight does impact our health. Example when I started I could not walk 500 feet without getting out of breath. I now walk 2.5 miles 5 days a week. And live in Florida where we are just now getting out of the 90's and the horrid humidity. But for first two months, I focused more on my food intake, and not so much on exercise.

Key to losing weight is a deficit. Meaning we are using up in a day/week more calories than we are eating. So no matter what so called diet you use. The real story is using more calories than we take in.

I love fruits and veges. When I read people do not, I kind of think in my mind I wonder how they have had them prepared? Because trust me if out of a can or just microwaved or boiled for veges. No wonder you may not like them. I eat mine raw, but more often I roast them use spices a bit of oil. Also grill them, wrap in foil. Be creative. I love to cook. So turning my years of loving cooking sweets into cooking more healthy because as a diabetic I do eat a bit different than someone who has no health restrictions when trying to lose weight. And yes I have tried most diets that ever were. But this time, I am being sensible about it, and is working. I like said started at 305 in May, on Saturday the 20th I weighed 239.4 and still a long way to go.

Some of the best advice you are going to get over and over. Buy a food scale, weigh all foods before you eat them. Log everything you eat, even if you go over your allowance. Let MFP come up with a calorie allowance for you based on how much you want to lose per week. Read and read some more main topics they are so helpful. And keep chugging along. Best of luck.
  • andreadods
    andreadods Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I probably should explain some of my restrictions. I am unable to walk or even cook for myself thanks to inflammatory arthritis twisting and deforming my joints. I spend most days in bed so currently rely on my husband who isn't the best cook but we are getting there ha. Until I became ill I was still overweight but very active and very fit. I am currently doing the gym twice a week but barely anything compared to previously as can only do what my physio sets as my bones will snap easily due to the positioning of the deformed joints. I think maybe investing in some more kitchen aids might help so I can start helping to cook again. I can't chop anything so might have to just boss my husband around ha. Thanks for the support x