Proper maintenence weight?

Options
I posted this over in general, but it got bumped to the bottom of the page pretty quick and no one is even viewing it anymore. Looking back, that was probably the wrong place to post it - anyways, this is just a copy and paste.

Recently, I've been floating the idea of changing my target wieght.

I'm a 6'1 male, and I know from previous experience my athletic range is between 190lbs and 220lbs. 190, I'm lean, have tons of muscular endurance, and I'm fairly fast, but my strength suffers. At 220, I'm much stronger, but I have a bit higher BF% and my speed and endurance suffer. My happy medium is 205lbs.

I started getting back fit at 301lbs, currently 265lbs. My original target weight was the 190-220 range - however, my strength goals have changed. When I started this, I wanted to get back to being able to run distance and have decent strength, but more recently I've really gotten into the strongman stuff.

With that in mind, I've been considering taking myself off of a deficit somewhere between 210-240 instead, and just eating at maintenence to recomp over time - I am thinking this because while I am still making strength gains in a deficit, I can't go do full-blown strongman training until I'm at least eating maintenence, for recovery reasons. I would be willing to accept around an 18-22% bf at maintenence for recomp, all things considered. I currently estimate myself at 25-30% BF - the last fat caliper testvsaid 16% but that is a load of *kitten* considering I have an 18 inch neck and a 45 inch waist.

I'd like to get some thoughts on this, I've never done a true targeted recomp before, just bulk, cut, and maintenance - and none of those were truly tracked macros like I do now, more of a rough guess.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I mean honestly this is totally a personal preference thing, and you don't have to leave anything set in stone. So change your GW to 240, and when you get there, take a moment to assess. You might decide you need to lose a few more lbs at that point. Or you can recomp for 6 months, and if you get bored or change your mind, just switch back to a deficit. Many folks do their whole weight loss that way - lose 20 lbs, maintain for a while, lose 20 more, take another break.

Have you seen the Diet Break/Refeed thread? Maybe that would help give you some direction .

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do strongman competitions, the higher weight is definitely a plus.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Interesting article on strongman. Unless you want to go/stay very heavy around 230 many be a sweet spot