How to get out the desserts

Options
2»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I still eat them but in moderation. Nobody better ever take my sweets away from me :)
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am working them into my calorie/carb/fat allotment. I do not have every day. I happen to really like making SF instant pudding, adding extracts a little lite cool whip. And yes a mousse like dessert. As a diabetic I realized I needed to change my sweet lifestyle eating. But not eliminate it, work it into my allotments. Example I love to bake, so I am looking into baking cookies and desserts the low carb way this year. This is something totally new for me. Maybe I try it and hate it, or like it. Point is I want to try it because a life without sweets sounds very sad to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    smilerdh17 wrote: »
    I can change my healthy eating choices with my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However I cannot seem to remove sweet from my diet. I’m always craving them. Can anyone give me some good advice on how to get them out or how to start saying no?
    Thank you in advance.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    i've found the blog "deserts with benefits" offers some less guilt recipes.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    OddDitty wrote: »
    Something I read a long time ago was that the taste for sweets containing processed sugar is not natural to our bodies. We are not born with a desire for chocolate, gummy bears, cake etc. Rather the sweet sensory in our tongues is basically muted and confined to naturally occurring sugars, as in mother's milk.

I agree with the above: remove them from your presence.

But do more than that. Drink a lot of water. Treat getting off sugar as you would quitting smoking. And, unless you're a diabetic, berries (as she mentioned as well) and bits of granny smith apples could become your "patch" to get past the cravings.

Good luck!

From my psychology text book;

"Our preferences for sweet and salty tastes are genetic and universal. Other taste preferences are conditioned, as when people given highly salted foods develop a liking for excess salt, or when people who have been sickened by a food develop an aversion to it.

Culture affects taste too..."

The take away from that is that a preference for sweet food is natural. It doesn't really matter where it comes from. However, a preference for really sweet food is conditioned. If you really don't want to eat sweets or desserts you could always add something to it that makes you feel really sick afterwards. This may help you develop an aversion to it. LOL!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Dairy Free Desserts are much healthier and taste better!!!

How are they healthier?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

better than what?!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I strongly disagree with this and am unsure how exactly this is supposed to help the OP :huh:
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Using margarine instead of butter in my peanut butter cookies will a) make them taste worse not better and b) not make them any healthier. It might kill my desire to eat them, so maybe that's the benefit?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    smilerdh17 wrote: »
    I can change my healthy eating choices with my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However I cannot seem to remove sweet from my diet. I’m always craving them. Can anyone give me some good advice on how to get them out or how to start saying no?
    Thank you in advance.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.

All of this is excellent.

I find that I do best when I'm consistently taking my magnesium supplement especially. I still want something sweet to round out my day, but I don't have this hard-to-resist desire to eat a large quantity.

~Lyssa
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Recently I’ve been buying snacking chocolate (dark chocolate pretzel bark, etc), splitting it into 100 or 200 calorie servings, and pre-logging it if I have room in my calorie count for the day. I keep it reasonable so that when a truly special occasion comes (wedding cake, holiday get together), I can enjoy something new, homemade, or traditional without feeling guilty or like I fell off a wagon. I’ve had six slices of wedding cake this summer (because I went to six weddings, not because I pigged out at one 😂) and I’m not feeling deprived or resentful that I’m not having donuts or cupcakes everyday.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Im another who works them into my day. I want to make sustainable decisions around sweet treats, because there’s no way I’m going to live a life without sweet treats! I want to develop good habits for a lifetime, rather than just eliminate certain foods for now.

I eat things that fit in my calorie goal- often this means saving enough calories for something, or doing a little extra exercise.

Some of my faves are:

Fibre One brownies
    Sorbet
    Sugar free puddings
    A small cookie or two
    A treat-size chocolate bar.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I know this is more of the same response, but I think habits are a big part of staying on track (or not).
    For a long time I was having a little something sweet at both lunch and dinner to end the meal. I did that even while losing 100+ but now as I've been in maintenance for a few years, the pounds slowly creep on from time to time. It really helped me to get completely out of the habit of having anything sweet at lunch. Then I still have a small dessert most nights after dinner. One thing I like a lot is individually wrapped ice cream sandwiches/treats under 200 calories. Very satisfying and I can stop at one. I try to completely avoid things that I can't limit as well...chocolate Halloween candy would be a good example.

In the years before losing weight, I used to make full-on desserts several times per week. My grocery/meal planning list included a whole separate list of desserts like pie, cake, cookies, etc. I also grew up in a household where dessert ended every single meal. It's a tough habit to break.