Beginning strength training

Options
33gail33
33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
I am looking to begin strength training. I used to mostly do cardio but the last 4 years I have had a couple injuries and gained a lot of weight and now looking to do something different.
I found a beginner weight training workout on here and decided to use that as a guide. I will be working out at home.
Anyway today I began with deadlifts but I could only do 50 lbs (please keep in mind I am a 53 year old beginner!) So for that I did 3 x 8 reps. I moved on to shoulder presses and rows, but could only do 3 x 3 reps on those two (again with 50 lbs).
So should I continue on with that weight next time or lower the weight to be able to lift more reps?
Any other suggestions for a beginner? I can't to any kind of squats or lunges as I am waiting for a knee MRI at the moment.

Replies

• DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 123 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    So I began here with a small set of dumbbells, a pull up bar, and a set of fitness bands. In less than 5 months I can manage several unassisted overhand pull-ups; my chest, back, arms, and core are significantly stronger (and bigger) and I'm even seeing definition in my abs. I should add I dropped 20lbs and am now beginning to slowly increase my caloric intake to compensate for the additional activity. As an added bonus, my running form and recovery has really been much much better (I'm a 10-15 mile/week runner when not training for anything) Your mileage may vary, but its working for an old (54) man like me. http://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness/workouts/dumbbell-workouts
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on your form for now, then worry about the weight at a later date. I am just getting back in to lifting after a few years off and have been deadlifting and squatting with an 8kg barbell. Now that my form is good I am going to go heavier at a gradual pace. You can check YouTube for correct form and then use a mirror to assess yourself. Good luck :)
  • 33gail33
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice and support. I think what I have gained from this is that I will keep the same deadlift weight for now, but reduce on the others until I can do perfect form for the prescribed reps. I do have a full length mirror so that is helpful for form.
    Tbh I read somewhere that an untrained woman should be able to deadlift 100 lbs and I was a little embarrassed at my 50 - but it is what it is I have been through enough injuries the last few years that I want to take it slow if I have to. I used to work out with 10 - 15 lbs dumbells but I haven't done anything since 2 consecutive frozen shoulders in 2015 - 2016. It took a long time to even get full range of motion back so I have pretty much no strength at all atm.
    I also am a pseudo- vegetarian (eggs and fish only) and rarely meet my protein target so will have to definitely up that as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Tbh I read somewhere that an untrained woman should be able to deadlift 100 lbs

Ignore that. Your average untrained woman is not going to be deadlifting 100 lbs straight out of the gate. Also, a 50 lb shoulder press even at 3x3 is more than many would be able to do :) Pretty much, don't think at all about what others may or may not be able to lift.

I'd suggest finding a program to follow rather than winging it, which I think you may be doing. I like both Starting Strength and All Pro's. Their lifts are similar but Starting Strength has you up your weight each workout while All Pro's has you add a rep each week for 5 weeks before upping the weight. You'll get stronger with either program so it really comes down to a matter of preference.

• 33gail33
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Ignore that. Your average untrained woman is not going to be deadlifting 100 lbs straight out of the gate. Also, a 50 lb shoulder press even at 3x3 is more than many would be able to do :) Pretty much, don't think at all about what others may or may not be able to lift.

I'd suggest finding a program to follow rather than winging it, which I think you may be doing. I like both Starting Strength and All Pro's. Their lifts are similar but Starting Strength has you up your weight each workout while All Pro's has you add a rep each week for 5 weeks before upping the weight. You'll get stronger with either program so it really comes down to a matter of preference.

Thanks I am *kind of* using a program, except that I am really afraid to do squats because of a knee problem I am dealing with. Even with bracing I don't want to risk it. I just looked at the All Pro one and it isn't quite as focused on squats as the others I have seen so I think I might try that one.

Would you recommend replacing the squats with something else? Or just leaving it out altogether?

(I know that I won't get the same results leaving out an exercise but I figure it is better than nothing?)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Thanks I am *kind of* using a program, except that I am really afraid to do squats because of a knee problem I am dealing with. Even with bracing I don't want to risk it. I just looked at the All Pro one and it isn't quite as focused on squats as the others I have seen so I think I might try that one.

Would you recommend replacing the squats with something else? Or just leaving it out altogether?

(I know that I won't get the same results leaving out an exercise but I figure it is better than nothing?)

I don't know what kind of knee problem you have and I'm not a doctor or physical therapist :) But, I like step ups. You can start off doing bodyweight step ups and gradually add weight by holding dumbbells. Plus you can start with a low step and add difficulty but moving to a higher step.
  • 33gail33
    edited October 2018
    Options

I don't know what kind of knee problem you have and I'm not a doctor or physical therapist :) But, I like step ups. You can start off doing bodyweight step ups and gradually add weight by holding dumbbells. Plus you can start with a low step and add difficulty but moving to a higher step.

I have OA, fluid, and a possible bucket handle meniscus tear (waiting on MRI for firm diagnosis).

Not sure how it will handle anything that puts weight on it while bent more than a few degrees. I think I will try the body weight step ups, and *possibly* just body weight squats until I have a firm diagnosis.

Thanks.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    User your phone instead of a mirror if you can, to check your form. It's like a quantum thing, looking at the mirror affects your form, more for some lifts and less for others. It's generally better to look straight forward to keep your spine neutral.