Intermittent Fasting and Macro Counting Women

Options
Would love an accountability partner for intermittent fasting and macro counting. I have been doing the LEAN program with Amanda Nighbert (great program). I am currently without accountability though which isn't good.

Replies

• Angief05
    Angief05 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What is intermittent fasting?
  • HealthyIrishLass
    HealthyIrishLass Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been 16:8 fasting since August 1st. Have lost a few lbs and clothes are a little looser but have stalled a bit so decided to track a little too to see how I'm doing daily. You can add me. I'm 42 - 5'5" SW 225 CW 216 GW 145
  • dccalv2
    dccalv2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @HealthyIrishLass - if you count your calories and do IF, you will lose weight. I finished a program that combined IF, calorie/macro counting and carb cycling. It was effective.
  • HealthyIrishLass
    Options
    I got into IF trying to avoid counting calories daily, however, I think it's worth the time to check in and make sure I'm not eating too many carbs or too much in general. I don't know that I ever want to go full keto, but I'm willing to go lower carb.
  • dccalv2
    Options
    The program I just did is no where near Keto. I can PM you some of the details. I wouldn't want to do Keto either.
  • adrishappyjourney
    adrishappyjourney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just began IF on Monday of this week and I count my calories. I don't know about macro counting and I'm also not doing KETO or eliminating carbs from my diet. I'm just eating as healthy as I can (sometimes it is chips ;)) and counting my calories while IF'ing. I am waiting for Monday to weigh myself to see where I stand in regards to weight. Please do add me!
  • HealthyIrishLass
    Options
    @dccalv2 That would be great. Right now my thought was that I'd try to stay under 100g carbs.

@adrishappyjourney Hello, you're going to love IF. I feel great and it's easy to follow. I just ate a chocolate chip cookie, so I'm definitely not cutting everything out, but I do try to eat mostly healthy.
  • dccalv2
    Options
    @adrishappyjourney and @HealthyIrishLass - go into Update Diet Profile on MFP and set it to lose 1 pound a week and then go into Daily Nutrition and set Carbs at 45%, 30%, and 25% for your macros. Eat within your calories/percentages. This will help to keep carbs at a healthy level and also protein and fat. Another tip is to watch your sugar intake. Try to keep added sugar (not sugar from fruit or milk) to a minimum - no more than 50 grams a day (it is hard). All of the above is coming from a talk I had with a nutritionist where I work. :)
  • dccalv2
    Options
    Carbs at 45%, Protein at 30%, and Fat at 25%.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    dccalv2 wrote: »
    @adrishappyjourney and @HealthyIrishLass - go into Update Diet Profile on MFP and set it to lose 1 pound a week and then go into Daily Nutrition and set Carbs at 45%, 30%, and 25% for your macros. Eat within your calories/percentages. This will help to keep carbs at a healthy level and also protein and fat. Another tip is to watch your sugar intake. Try to keep added sugar (not sugar from fruit or milk) to a minimum - no more than 50 grams a day (it is hard). All of the above is coming from a talk I had with a nutritionist where I work. :)

Just for informational purposes, macro %s is largely personal preference and there is no one macro distribution that works best for everyone. I aim for 0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight, 0.3g of fat per lb, and 25g of fiber, and let carbs and sugar fall where they may. As long as you stay in your calories, you'll lose weight, but finding the macro % that keep you full and energetic is like finding the holy grail :lol: I end up at more like 50/25/25 but I think your recommended % is a great place to start! Just know it's not a big deal if you have to tweak it a bit.

I used to do IF (skipping breakfast and skipping 2nd dessert!) but about 6 months ago I just started waking up super hungry every day. So now my calories are spread out more. If I get back to a place where it makes sense, I would totally go back to it, it def made it easier to stick to my calorie goal.

Good luck ladies! Logging here was for me the key to really becoming intentional about my goals and the plan to get there :smiley:
  • dccalv2
    Options
    @kimny72 Good Advice. I agree that macro counting is not an exact science. It is good for me to try to hit it as close as possible because I can go way over on the carbs and not get filled up. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    dccalv2 wrote: »
    @kimny72 Good Advice. I agree that macro counting is not an exact science. It is good for me to try to hit it as close as possible because I can go way over on the carbs and not get filled up. :)

I hear you! Some people feel handcuffed when they have much more than a calorie goal to meet, but for me the macro goals help to keep me on the right path.
  • dccalv2
    Options
    @kimny72 True that
  • long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The only issue that I have with IF is that when I eat my first meal, I am overfull...I do 16/8 on weekends and 20/4 during the week. Two meals a day. If I eat less, I am under 1000 kcal! I am for 1600 and 50% of these from fat.
  • HealthyNuMe
    HealthyNuMe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi would love to be added to the circle I've been doing intermittent fasting and low carb for a few months now with some success. I would love to support and be supported through this journey. HW ever 257 got down to 147 but baby after baby has lead me to my new current HW187 I'm down to 164 now I have an aggressive goal of 138. Feel free to add me as a pal.
    Thanks for posting this!
  • HealthyIrishLass
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I tend to feel best somewhat lower carb, but not super low (aiming for 100-150g)
    So, I'm loosely aiming at 1500 calories 40%C 35%F 25%P
    I also like to stay under 25g of sugar.
  • dccalv2
    Options
    Started back on IF today, my first meal was about 1. 17 hours. Working to keep macros and calories. How is everyone else doing?