Is it natural to gain a few Kgs when starting exercise?

Options
Why does that happen?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Fluid retention due to dehydration.

If doing weights/resistance training and feeling sore, it will be fluid retention. Weight training will cause minute tears in the muscle fibres, fluid is retained and used to help mend those tears. Muscle building in action

Could also not be related to exercise could be other factors or just the usual daily fluctuations that everybody should expect.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is water retention while your muscles repair from the new exercise. This is a good thing by the way and this is how our muscles get stronger. That soreness you feel causes inflammation and this inflammation is the result of water retention. It will settle down soon and you will be fitter and stronger as a result if you keep going.
  • TimeToReduceFat
    TimeToReduceFat Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sore after walking 6Km. It is only my feet that aches. Is it fluid retention even then?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sore after walking 6Km. It is only my feet that aches. Is it fluid retention even then?

Yep. Unless you ate 7000 calories above maintenance that day also!
  • TimeToReduceFat
    TimeToReduceFat Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!