Pasta Replacement

I have pasta sparingly, because you only get literally a taste at serving size. And I usually eat double the serving size which is over my structured amount of calories with the other parts of the meal. (I like to have 300ish cal for breakfast/300ish cal for lunch and 600 cal for dinner and some small snacks).

Does anyone know of any other food items that maybe more vegetarian or even vegan that are noodle like? I should invest in a veggie spiral gadget.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i like this stuff as a pasta repalcement - i get it because my husband eats low-ish carb and gluten free

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/explore-cuisine-organic-gluten-free-edamame-spaghetti-60021843
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member

One approach could be to Ask, and seek answers to these questions ( which may lead to others!):

1) what is it about pasta that is so satisfying?
    1a) The shape , as you already pointed out, is easily achieved with a gadget.
    1b) the texture ?
    1c) the flexibility ?
    1d) the flavor?
    1e) the nutritional value?
    1f) the digestibility?

I am going to start a fresh thread on the theme of Food as Fuel; it might help you in this pasta replacement journey !

Good luck to and
    Good fitness to us all!
    Amyfb
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited October 2018
    I use a cheese grater/mandolin and slice summer squash such as zucchini for half the portion when I make pasta dishes. It has similar consistency and flavor to pasta so it is filling but low cal. I just cook it by blanching it in the pasta water for one minute and then place in a sautee pan with garlic for 4 or 5 minutes while the pasta is cooking.

You can buy a hand-held spirilizer. I find even that to be too much hassle, the grater works.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    The serving sizes on packages of dry pasta are usually for the pasta before it is cooked. If you did not realize that you may be eating a much smaller portion than you are logging.

I eat regular store brand veggie pasta for 200 calories for 2 oz dry pasta. I weigh it before I cook it.
    I am fine with zoodles and do that sometimes.
    I also serve pasta as a side with fish or chicken and a salad sometimes to have a smaller portion.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    @TavistockToad they deliver internationally? Looks like a good option. Maybe I can find something similar at Whole Foods...
    amy19355 wrote: »
    One approach could be to Ask, and seek answers to these questions ( which may lead to others!):

1b) the texture ?
    1c) the flexibility ?
    1d) the flavor?
    1f) the digestibility?

I am going to start a fresh thread on the theme of Food as Fuel; it might help you in this pasta replacement journey !

Good luck to and
    Good fitness to us all!
    Amyfb

That is a good point....mainly it's not even the pasta itself that I enjoy, it's what I put on top. Which is why I don't mind alternating it with something else. So I guess the flexibility is what's best for me.

My mom lives with me and part of our "deal" so to speak is she cooks dinner. She's not as health conscious as I am though she does eat things that are nutritious just not the right serving size. So it's difficult to keep on my meal plan unless I cooked a completely seperate dinner all the time which is fiscally impossible. lol.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited October 2018
    My favorite is spaghetti squash. You don't even need a spiralizer for it. It takes about an hour to roast in in the oven, but can also be cooked in the microwave in about 10 minutes. I actually like the flavor better than pasta.
    You can have a really large serving of it and add a bit of cheese and still have a low calorie meal.

Edited for grammar.
  • corysmithsmail
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    The serving sizes on packages of dry pasta are usually for the pasta before it is cooked. If you did not realize that you may be eating a much smaller portion than you are logging.

I eat regular store brand veggie pasta for 200 calories for 2 oz dry pasta. I weigh it before I cook it.
    I also serve pasta as a side with fish or chicken and a salad sometimes to have a smaller portion.

Well that's a game changer. I have been weighing the pasta after cooking. And thinking about it now...of course a wet noodle is going to be heavier. :#
    Spaghetti squash. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds, cook, and then shred with a fork to get "noodles".

This is my lunch this week. I added some broccoli to it: https://www.thegunnysack.com/chicken-alfredo-spaghetti-squash/

Spaghetti squash has been my go to alternative. It's not my fav but it is an acceptable exchange.
  • Tevin905
    Tevin905 Posts: 2 Member
    Shiritake noodles. Super low in calories. I think the one I bought was 15 calories and was about a cup full of noodle. They are in a liquid and you just have to wash the noodles off and heat them up in whatever your making. Just make sure you cut the noodles cause i swear it has to be one super long noodle lol.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    I am a fan or Shiritake (sp?) noodes and NuPasta. I am a volume eater so these are right up my alley.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member

Well that's a game changer. I have been weighing the pasta after cooking. And thinking about it now...of course a wet noodle is going to be heavier. :#

Oh dear. That would be literally just a taste! Enjoy your actual portions of pasta!! I'm going to answer your question anyway tho because I also miss eating too-much-pasta.
    i like this stuff as a pasta repalcement - i get it because my husband eats low-ish carb and gluten free

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/explore-cuisine-organic-gluten-free-edamame-spaghetti-60021843

I'm also gluten free so I did look at this myself (it's in my local Tesco) but the calories are basically the same as regular pasta and it is expeeeeensive! You can also get red lentil pasta, which again, isn't really a low calorie option but it does have more protein.

I love my veggie spiral gadget. I shelled out for the non-handheld one with the crank (£20) and I use it at least twice a week. Spiralised courgette/ zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, white potato, broccolli stems, red onions and cucumbers for pickles, I might try a butternut squash now they're coming into season.
    Tevin905 wrote: »
    Shiritake noodles. Super low in calories. I think the one I bought was 15 calories and was about a cup full of noodle. They are in a liquid and you just have to wash the noodles off and heat them up in whatever your making. Just make sure you cut the noodles cause i swear it has to be one super long noodle lol.

These are also hella expensive. I'm still interested and will still try them but I can't see something that's like £2/ portion making it into my regular rotation!
  • corysmithsmail
    Yeah I agree. Too expensive, but I'm willing to get these items at least a couple of times a month. Literally only 2x though.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Spaghetti squash. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds, cook, and then shred with a fork to get "noodles".

This is my lunch this week. I added some broccoli to it: https://www.thegunnysack.com/chicken-alfredo-spaghetti-squash/

Spaghetti squash has been my go to alternative. It's not my fav but it is an acceptable exchange.

^Yes, weighing it dry is going to make a huge difference. Two servings will be a pile of pasta in comparison.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    You can get a spiralizer for $10-12 on amazon. It takes only like 5 min to do a whole zucchini. Zoodles are my favorite "pasta" replacement. Spaghetti squash is great too, it just takes longer to cook. They don't taste like pasta but sometimes they taste better in my opinion, pasta alone doesn't have much flavor. Its all the sauces and what you have with the pasta that gives it flavor.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I make several sauce-less pastas and can typically get a decent serving for under 400 calories. For instance, I had some last night and the filling amount I served myself was 313 calories.

These recipes are typically a combo of garlic, onion, seasonings, protein (chicken or sausage), and vegetables (bell peppers, hot peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus, etc.) cooked in no more 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil, tossed with noodles and coated with 0.25-0.5 cup of parmesan.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I like spiralized zucchini in place of pasta, but only if I have a hearty sauce with lots of meat. Otherwise, it feels like I am eating nothing, which is basically true, as there aren't a whole lot of calories in zucchini and tomato sauce. Depending on what I am eating it with, sometimes I will make a potion of pasta and "extend" it with spiralized zucchini. I also like to load my sauces with veggies like spinach, zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant and red bell pepper to make it a more satisfying portion.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    If you like the texture of quick-cook pasta (I know some people hate it) you tend to get a bit more bulk for the same weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

I mentioned it because it is a common mistake starting out with logging things like pasta or rice.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    @TavistockToad they deliver internationally? Looks like a good option. Maybe I can find something similar at Whole Foods...
    amy19355 wrote: »

1b) the texture ?
    1c) the flexibility ?
    1d) the flavor?
    1f) the digestibility?

Good luck to and
    Good fitness to us all!
    Amyfb

That is a good point....mainly it's not even the pasta itself that I enjoy, it's what I put on top. Which is why I don't mind alternating it with something else. So I guess the flexibility is what's best for me.

When I wanted to reduce calories to lose weight, I found one of the easiest methods was to eat more of that good stuff I was putting on the less nutritrient dense/higher calorie/carby filler foods (like bread, grains, and pasta), and less of the the bread/pasta/etc. I'm not a low carb-er, and still eat some of those things, but I certainly am more likely these days to (say) put my "spaghetti" sauce on top of spaghetti squash or baked eggplant or somesuch thing, or just make a veggies soup/stew without the pasta/grain.

I like the edamame pasta someone else mentioned, and that's a good enough protein source to balance off against other protein foods calorically, if you like. Personally, I mostly prefer edamame or soy or black bean pastas in pseudo-Asian preparations (not pseudo-Italian ones), though.

Another option with medium protein is chickpea or pea pasta. It has more protein than wheat pasta, but less than soy pasta. I find the taste a little "flatter" than wheat pasta, but with a really flavorful tomato sauce that isn't a big issue, for me. That could be another thing to try, if you haven't.
    My mom lives with me and part of our "deal" so to speak is she cooks dinner. She's not as health conscious as I am though she does eat things that are nutritious just not the right serving size. So it's difficult to keep on my meal plan unless I cooked a completely seperate dinner all the time which is fiscally impossible. lol.

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Tevin905 wrote: »

These are also hella expensive. I'm still interested and will still try them but I can't see something that's like £2/ portion making it into my regular rotation!

Wow. A pack here is about the equivelent of £1.40 ($1.70 US) and that is 2 servings. Have you checked Amazon for dried shiritaki prices? Might be cheaper. I haven't tried the dried yet. Has anyone else tried it?