Suggestions on exercise welcomed!!

Options
Hello,

I walk/jog some an hour a day, most days and about 15 minutes of ab and arm exercises with weights. I'm kind of stuck on the ab and arm exercise part... Does anyone have any good ab and arm routines? I'm not seeing much of a difference with what I do...

Thanks!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ditch the ab exercises and any arm isolation exercises and start a full body lifting program of compound (more than one muscle group) lifts.

I would suggest starting with Stronglifts 5x5. It's free online and really uncomplicated.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've seen pear shape threads today, ruler shape threads today, and hourglass threads today, but this is the first thread today where the OP was born with only arms and abs. What body type is that, exactly?
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ditch the ab exercises and any arm isolation exercises and start a full body lifting program of compound (more than one muscle group) lifts.

I would suggest starting with Stronglifts 5x5. It's free online and really uncomplicated.

Ditto^^ Good place to start if you are new to strength training.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It seems as if many people on MFP do really hard exercises, like Shred. I've been sedentary all my life and have to start small. If there are others like me, the following from a friend who lost 4 inches around her waist might be helpful:

I found Stationary Abdominal Crunch which I do every day.
    You can do this in your chair.
    Sit up straight with your feet on the floor. Suck in your belly button , it should feel like your belly button is touching your spine.
    Hold that position for 10 seconds. Rest and Repeat. I do this 10 times twice a day. I use the second hand on my husbands watch.
    When I am walking you take 5 steps, then suck in your belly for 5 steps and Repeat.
    I do this exercise while I am walking.

I also do a isometric exercise. Hold your arms with elbows bent at shoulder height and then flex your muscles that run under your arms down to your waist. I hold this for 5 seconds and I can really feel the difference.

I also lay on the bed with my legs bent and palms upward.
    Lift each leg toward your chest and hold for 5 seconds and do the other leg.
    I do this for 10 times each leg.

But what has really helped me to reduce my waist size is the Abdominal Crunch.
    I went from 38 waist to 34 waist in about 60 days.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

^^^ agreed. Compound lifts are your friend.