How to lose weight while battling exhaustion

I really want to lose this weight( 20 pounds ) to get to a healthy weight. But I am tired all of the time it seems!! I have 5 kids and just a very busy, full schedule. I need some encouragment. My last baby is 3 and it seems Ive been in a perpetual state of exhaustion for almost that whole time. If its not one its another of the kiddos needing something. My teens like long talks and my 3 year old is into everything and I have some inbetween. Running to activities and what not. Of course I have good days and bad days. I struggle with staying motivated and focused. If I am tired forget it I just want to throw in the towel. I just want to eat and I eat bad stuff. I lost it with all of the others so why can't I do it this time. It seems like I waffle back and forth and I really want this time to be it. I joined this site in hopes that I will gain the support I need to remain focused to meet my health and fitness goals. I know its just a tough season for me. I have seen other mothers with many lose the weight and work it off. I wan't to too but the energy it takes is so daunting!

Replies

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    fmize7 wrote: »
    I really want to lose this weight... If I am tired forget it I just want to throw in the towel. ... the energy it takes is so daunting!

I'm not a mom of three, but I'm married and helped raise my two kids. I also have a hectic life. I can identify with the above excerpts from you post. For me, it is very counter intuitive. When I was heavy I had very little energy. I was hungry all the time and like you, "just wanted to throw in the towel". I think it's related to blood sugar - I have no research or evidence, it's just an uninformed anecdotal opinion.
    I cans say that when I began even a modest exercise routine my energy and appetite changed for the better. As far as eating - I just had to choose to eat less food. Making the initial change is hard, but it gets better.

Good luck.
  • fmize7
    fmize7 Posts: 26 Member
    Thank you! Those are some very good suggestions. I have to remember how important it is to be flexible and creative with this. Also, I realized last night that if I really want to do this I am going to have to do it even though Im tired. Its a big obstacle and so is my fear of causing myself pain. Since I have been dealing with chronic pain as well. But being on here Im seeing that it can be done. One small change and one day at a time.
  • fmize7
    @garystrickland357 It does seem so counter intuitive...I know Ill feel better if I do this. I think for me its blood sugar as well. Although I've been to Drs about it and I was fine I think that may still be part of my issue. I think Im battling a lot of mental barriers in this. Afraid of the tiredness, afraid of the pain and not wanting to fully commit. Im getting there though and being on here is helping so much! You're right the initial change is so hard. But I can see that if you guys can do it so can I. I can choose to be more active. And to eat less. It hard. Very hard. But I really want this!!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Could you do something active together with your teens? (Walking, bike rides...)
    I often find mine open up more when they don't have to look me in the face the whole time anyway (in the car, or sitting side by side not facing each other).
    May not work if the younger ones need looking after at the time though...

With food, I find it quite good to pack myself a lunchbox in the morning - then I am not hunting for food when I am already hungry and make choices that don't fit in my diet.

In all honesty though, I am still struggling to find ways to make these things work too - just when I think we have something sorted, another thing changes and we are back to finding new solutions. Hopefully inching our way in the right direction.
  • fmize7
    @jo_nz the teens like taking walks with me or going out on their bikes. I try to stay active with them. But man, is it exhausting just doing daily stuff or outings. I often feel that is enough. We are in this together just one step at a time trying to reach our goals. I appreciate your suggestions. I love the idea to pack myself a lunch.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Are you getting enough good sleep? If you are not that may be part of it.
    Have you been checked out for any medical issues? My exhaustion turned out to be from an underactive thyroid that is easily treated.

If you are trying to do a lot start prioritizing and eliminating things that you do until the amount is more reasonable.
    Split up tasks at home better or get some help.
    Maybe if your kids are in many activities drop the amount, get together with other parents and work out a car pool arrangement, switch off with your partner.
    Set a timer and tell your kids you need some alone time until it goes off.
    Cook double when you cook. Use a slow cooker. Use convenience foods. Have a limited rotating menu.
    Order groceries online if your store offers it and pick up or have delivered.

Plan and prelog your food for the day. You don't have to drastically change your diet just have smaller portions of higher calorie stuff.
    Stock low calorie snacks you like.
  • madambra01
    madambra01 Posts: 4 Member
    I had the same issue w my son, and it turned out I had hypothyroidism - felt much better with medication. You certainly get the blood test, it’s not uncommon to have that issue post pregnancy. Good luck!
  • fmize7
    @Lounmoun Very good tips that I am definitely taking into consideration. I have been trying to figure out what to eliminate. Balance has always been such a hard thing for me...I believe a lot of my issue has to do with lifestyle and not prioritizing or balancing well. Definitely not getting enough sleep these days.

I did have a thyroid issue for many years and was on meds for about 13 years or so. The doctor reduced it and eventually I was stopped altogether. I am thinking that I need to go in for another check. Just to make sure I am still ok. I know I need to get in to see the Dr again.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    when you're tired and exhausted.. it seems instinctive to eat more to get more energy. It is a vicous cycle that never works.
    The first thing I noticed when I went to a whole foods diet and cut out sugar and processed foods was how great I felt. 'all aches and pains gone..energy returned

I realize you're busy but you have to eat and sleep..so control how you do those two things first to set yourself up for success. So start eating a lean, vegetable infused, healthy diet ..cut sugar, processed fats and carbs..and get to sleep on time.
    When energy results in the change.. then you can focus on your goals and get a strategy to get in shape that will actually work because you'll have the desire and strength to do it.