Ezekiel bread- tips please

Options
After hearing all the benefits, i thought it was a good idea to get some. So i bought some ezekiel bread over the weekend and put it in the freezer. Took it out to make a sandwich but the bread keeps on breaking apart as i try to pull them apart.

Any suggestions what i am doing wrong? maybe i should put in the fridge first?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I usually slide a table knife between the slices to separate them after I have frozen the loaf.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    We just keep ours in the fridge.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    After hearing all the benefits, i thought it was a good idea to get some. So i bought some ezekiel bread over the weekend and put it in the freezer. Took it out to make a sandwich but the bread keeps on breaking apart as i try to pull them apart.

Any suggestions what i am doing wrong? maybe i should put in the fridge first?

Yes, It lasts a few weeks in the refrigerator. I have also gotten it on the shelf (not frozen). Do that, put pieces of parchment in-between the slices, and then you can keep it in the freezer without worrying about it breaking apart.

Anyone have opinions on defrosting/re-freezing it?
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    With Ezekiel bread, you'll need to thaw the number of slices you'll be using for breakfast the night before in the refrigerator, to prevent the tearing of each slice.

My favourite always is - 2 or 4 slices in the oven toaster generously slathered with almond butter once they're done. The flavour profile is within the same vein as a traditional tribal bread I'm familiar with.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    yes usually kept mine in fridge as well.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    yeah I LOVE dave's killer bread as well- they are a little cheaper- but I find the Ezekiel breads are more coarse and therefore more filling for me- ex. I can eat just half of an Ezekiel bread English muffin- and I am find- the Thomas or other brands I have to eat the whole thing to fill satisfied.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Bread made from flour makes me sleepy but bread made from sprouted grains from brands like Ezekiel does not.

I usually keep a few day's worth in the frig and the rest in the freezer, but have no problems prying it apart with a knife when frozen.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The first thing you did wrong was buying Ezekiel bread. No idea how you can recoup that $5 but Dave's Killer Bread and the Costco brand multigrain are both way better.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was old. Did you check the date?
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hi - I also leave my Ezekiel bread in the fridge. If it is frozen - use a spatula to separate! :)jzxt1i9ain0z.jpeg

Ps - Daves killer bread has dried cane syrup (sugar) in it! Yuck! Ezekiel bread does not.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    Hi - I also leave my Ezekiel bread in the fridge. If it is frozen - use a spatula to separate! :)jzxt1i9ain0z.jpeg

Ps - Daves killer bread has dried cane syrup (sugar) in it! Yuck! Ezekiel bread does not.

And that’s a problem because....
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    mg07030 wrote: »

And that’s a problem because....

@jdog022 for me because I’m on a low GI diet for health reasons.. I don’t like bread sweet though either.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    From frozen, use a bread knife to separate the slices before popping it in the toaster or toaster oven if you wanted to make a sandwich (hot).
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Isn't Dave's Killer Bread just like regular bread? I bought Ezekial because it it isn't a flour-based bread. Nothing against Dave's bread but I don't think you can compare the two.