Hungrier than usual, tips needed

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
The last 10 days, I am feeling hugnrier than usual. Weather change, stress, something else, I cannot say.
I am in my 40s, not very tall, have a sedentary job and not overweight, so my maintenance calories are barely 1600 and I add to this approximately 1500 to 2000 per week from exercise. My goal is something like 1 kilo loss per month, and I am getting there by eating 1200 plus exercise calories.
But while I was happy so far, the last days I am starving!
I am eating mostly plant based by preference and the funny thing is that I have lately made a conscious effort to add protein to my diet.
Any tips? Other than lots and lost of salads, which I am doing. What foods keep you full for longer? I am willing to try anything that is not really weird :)

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Could be TOM related? Generally women need roughly 100 extra calories a day during that.
    Or could be a macro imbalance. Are you getting enough protein and fat (I wonder if you're missing out on the fat with a mostly plant based diet, depending on your recipes)? I'll assume fibre is ok with a plant based diet.
    Less sleep than usual?
    And yes stress could be a cause too.
    Or inadvertently exercising more.
    Or how is your nutrient intake (like iron, and other vitamins)?

What do you mean by not very tall?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try adding 100 calories a day for two weeks and see how you feel.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Instead of salads, eat cruciferous vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts. They take more time to chew and are heavier than lettuce. I find that much more satisfying.

When I'm really, really hungry, my go-to meal is about a cup or 2 of broccoli roasted with olive oil, salt/pepper/garlic/paprika. 6oz of chicken or 4 oz of steak. And 2 hardboiled eggs. I find that I am stuffed after.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Could be TOM related? Generally women need roughly 100 extra calories a day during that.
    Or could be a macro imbalance. Are you getting enough protein and fat (I wonder if you're missing out on the fat with a mostly plant based diet, depending on your recipes)? I'll assume fibre is ok with a plant based diet.
    Less sleep than usual?
    And yes stress could be a cause too.
    Or inadvertently exercising more.
    Or how is your nutrient intake (like iron, and other vitamins)?

What do you mean by not very tall?

Yes, I am sure I am not eating enough fat, mostly because I hate most fatty foods :( I am making a conscious effort to add more, like peanut butter instead of honey or other sweet spreads, but it is a struggle.
    My iron is low and I am currently on supplements on dr's orders. I wonder if mild anaemia causes hunger. For sure I feel more tired than usual, hadn't thought about that.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Instead of salads, eat cruciferous vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts. They take more time to chew and are heavier than lettuce. I find that much more satisfying.

When I'm really, really hungry, my go-to meal is about a cup or 2 of broccoli roasted with olive oil, salt/pepper/garlic/paprika. 6oz of chicken or 4 oz of steak. And 2 hardboiled eggs. I find that I am stuffed after.

Will try that, I love broccoli and brussel sprouts.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    pismodiver wrote: »
    Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, i.e. maintenance cals) is 1600 and your intake is 1200 (all before exercise.) That's a 25% deficit, which is aggressive under any conditions, but especially for someone whose weight is already in the normal range!

That's why you're hungry all the time, and unfortunately it's doubtful that switching macros or foods around will help much. :(

I need to lose weight on dr's orders to see if it might help with loweing my cholesterol, so not much choice there. Not very optimistic about a few kilos flucutation within the normal change will really help, and neither is the dr, but it is worth a try.
    I have lost 3 kilos in 3 months, so I do not feel this is really aggressive, is it?
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Protein
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I need to lose weight on dr's orders to see if it might help with loweing my cholesterol, so not much choice there. Not very optimistic about a few kilos flucutation within the normal change will really help, and neither is the dr, but it is worth a try.
    I have lost 3 kilos in 3 months, so I do not feel this is really aggressive, is it?

Your doctor said losing weight may help lower your cholesterol? a significant weight loss usually does but unfortunately sounds like your doctor doesn't really know. Certain types of foods can raise it and subsequently certain types can lower it. If you have a doctor that says they don't know, get another doctor! Unfortunately in the years spent at medical school, doctors spend as little as 6 weeks studying diet and nutrition so many of them simply don't know. take a look at this. It may help https://webmd.com/cholesterol-management/high-cholesterol-risk-16/slideshow-lowering-cholesterol

Your cholesterol levels could be genetic and not diet based. Also, unless the doctor gave you a plan to lose weight or a referral to a dietitian or nutritionist, he/she is gambling with your health. Telling a patient to simply lose weight is like telling a patient to win the lottery...and you walk away thinking "how do I do that?". Personally that kind of doctor should never be seen again, IMHO.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Along those lines, I find kale salads to be very filling. Not that bagged chopped kind, which is usually dreadful, but as fresh as you can get. Baby kale is probably nice and tender.

I grow my own kale but my season is about over :(
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Are you eating things like walnuts that boost your good cholesterol (LDL)?
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »

Your doctor said losing weight may help lower your cholesterol? a significant weight loss usually does but unfortunately sounds like your doctor doesn't really know. Certain types of foods can raise it and subsequently certain types can lower it. If you have a doctor that says they don't know, get another doctor! Unfortunately in the years spent at medical school, doctors spend as little as 6 weeks studying diet and nutrition so many of them simply don't know. take a look at this. It may help https://webmd.com/cholesterol-management/high-cholesterol-risk-16/slideshow-lowering-cholesterol

Your cholesterol levels could be genetic and not diet based. Also, unless the doctor gave you a plan to lose weight or a referral to a dietitian or nutritionist, he/she is gambling with your health. Telling a patient to simply lose weight is like telling a patient to win the lottery...and you walk away thinking "how do I do that?". Personally that kind of doctor should never be seen again, IMHO.

I am not overweight and my high cholesterol is genetic. I have a specific plan by my dr, as in guidelines and goals, which I have been following for years anyway. Weight loss does improve indeed cholesterol levels in an overweight person. But does e.g. a change from a BMI of 22 to 19 improve things? Both dr and I are doubtful, but it is an experiment I am willing to take, especially since most of my life I had a BMI in the lower range.
    Other than this, no I do not need a dietician to tell me how to lose a few kilos over the next year, and I have never thought "how I do that".
    I am not really sure how any of this answers my original question of "what tips can you share for days when you feel unusually hungry" :)
  • LKArgh
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Along those lines, I find kale salads to be very filling. Not that bagged chopped kind, which is usually dreadful, but as fresh as you can get. Baby kale is probably nice and tender.

I grow my own kale but my season is about over :(

Can you believe I have never eaten kale? Not sure why, so good idea to give it a try :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »
    Dilvish wrote: »

I am not overweight and my high cholesterol is genetic. I have a specific plan by my dr, as in guidelines and goals, which I have been following for years anyway. Weight loss does improve indeed cholesterol levels in an overweight person. But does e.g. a change from a BMI of 22 to 19 improve things? Both dr and I are doubtful, but it is an experiment I am willing to take, especially since most of my life I had a BMI in the lower range.
    Other than this, no I do not need a dietician to tell me how to lose a few kilos over the next year, and I have never thought "how I do that".
    I am not really sure how any of this answers my original question of "what tips can you share for days when you feel unusually hungry" :)

Well, the dietitian can help you find foods that fill you up for less calories, allowing you to accomplish your goal of losing weight without excessive hunger. Many of us eventually figure this out on our own via trial and error, but since you have a medical condition, why not get the referral?

See also Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html