Homemade protein bar recipes

Options
Has anyone got a successful recipe for protein/oat type bar that isn’t too high in sugar and calories. Looking for post workout snack ideas between 100-200kcals.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The ones I have so far found online are using honey to hold together a collection dried fruits, seeds and nut meats, with puffed rice.

I am going to experiment with using egg white to replace the honey as a binder.

Right now I have an egg white bite experiment in the Instant Pot. Egg whites mixed with cooked sweet potato and seasoned with Seaweed Gomaso. 6 minutes until I can taste them (fingers crossed).

I am interested in other experiences in the homemade portable protein snack bar/muffin/bites

Cheers
    Amyfb
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That’s sounds like what I’m looking for.

How did the experiment go?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Disclaimer: these are pretty sticky.

Made as directed they are 78 calories each. I've not yet bothered to buy the crisped rice, so just use all oats, and mine are 88 calories each.

I use agave, which pours much better and is cheaper than honey, and the better taste of honey is not necessary for this recipe.

https://littlebitsof.com/2015/01/pb2-protein-power-balls/
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks they look great kshama2001
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Disclaimer: these are pretty sticky.

Made as directed they are 78 calories each. I've not yet bothered to buy the crisped rice, so just use all oats, and mine are 88 calories each.

I use agave, which pours much better and is cheaper than honey, and the better taste of honey is not necessary for this recipe.

https://littlebitsof.com/2015/01/pb2-protein-power-balls/

^ I love these things. I don't always have all the ingredients so I just throw in what's laying around the kitchen. It's a very flexible recipe.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    That’s sounds like what I’m looking for.

How did the experiment go?

I did two tests with egg whites today, and while both are edible and not horrible in taste or texture, each could use some improvements.

1. Egg white bites - i didn’t want any cheese or yogurt ingredients, real or fake, and chose sweet potatoes to bulk it up. The instant pot i did for 8 min with 10 min natural release, but they were pretty soggy, although cooked; 10 minutes in the regular oven at 350 took care of it. The leftovers nuked up nicely for this morning’ s breakfast start. NEXT TIME: curry seasoning instead of the Gomaso seaweed/sesame , and, more salt, and, don’t forget the pepper. (In hindsight - dropping the dairy was a big hit to the goal of high protein content)
    My calculations for macros in one serving are: Calories 53; carbs 6gr, Fat 0g, protein 6gr

2. Egg white protein bars - I didn’t want any added sugar beyond the dried fruits (no honey, agave, etc) and so these are more of a balanced small snack, dessert. I used some of the mixture for the egg white bites above, and added 1/4 cup dry steel cut oats and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The oats didn’t swell much and only sort of softened. I mixed in 2 dates and l8 dried apricots, chopped up, and a 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, with about 24 chopped raw almonds. Spread it out on a well greased cookie sheet about 1/2” thick and baked at 350 F for 20 minutes. These are pretty tasty and much in flavor like the KIND bar Almond coconut that I like, NEXT TIME: try with cooked quinoa to increase protein, and, bake longer for a biscotti-like result. I’m not sure they will keep outside the fridge, because I haven’t researched eggs whites enough to know.
    My macro calculation for one serving: Calories 129; carbs 19g, fat 4 g, protein 5 gr

I didn’t calculate the cost of these yet, but I’m not feeling a big hit here

Summary - the egg bites worked as ‘food is fuel’ , and the bars are as addictive as are Kind bars; I’ve eaten two while writing this! LOL

Hope this inspires others of you who enjoy fooling around in the kitchen. I’m interested to see and hear about what others are doing.

Good fitness to us all!
    Amyfb
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do mine pretty simple. 1 tbs peanut or almond butter, 1 scoop of protein powder, mix it together. I have a little protein shake left over from the gym maybe 1 tsp and add that. Mix it all together and form into a cookie shape or bar shap. The freeze for 20 mins to hour.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I use Vita Fibre which I buy from Amazon. It adds sweetness as well as fibre. Peanut butter bar is 30g Vita Fibre, 25g whey protein and 1/2 tbsp (12g) crunchy peanut butter. 208 cal, 31 carbs, 5 fat, 20g protein, 5g sugar, 22g fibre. You can also sub pb2 for the peanut butter. You microwave the VF for about 30 sec or until it bubbles then mix in the other ingredients. I put it into a snack sized zip loc bag and shape it into a bar, then peel open the bag then put it into the fridge to dry and harden. The result is a Quest bar type consistency. I make all different flavours such as white choc raspberry and strawberry choc, maple walnut, etc. It just depends on the flavour of protein powder and what you add it.

Just to add that the amount of calories depends on the size of the bar and what you add it. You can use it to make bars or balls.