PSA If You Eat Pre-Packaged Food

I knew food companies could legally be off on calorie counts by up to 20%, but never really took it seriously. Recently I decided to start weighing stuff like protein bars, frozen patties, and deli meat instead of going by slices or pieces.

For instance, I just had a Vega protein bar. Package says one bar is 190 calories. But the reality is, it was not 45g, it was 55g. That's a whopping 42 calorie difference. Imagine how much that adds up, especially if eating other foods with improper labels like that.

So if you are stalled, it's totally worthwhile to weigh everything.

Replies

• I haven’t found calorie counts on packaged food to be off enough that it has any effect on me and my goals. It hasn’t affected my loss or maintenance at all. I rarely weigh my food.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Meh it's negligible. I don't weigh protein bars if I have one, but that's about only thing I eat thats is prepackaged. I do weigh everything else though so if you are the type of person who eats alot of prepackaged food than I guess it could add up.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    WOW, thanks for sharing. I sometimes eat 2-5 bars a day so this would really add up for me. I never usually weigh my bars, but now I am curious how many more calories I am actually eating.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    I haven’t found calorie counts on packaged food to be off enough that it has any effect on me and my goals. It hasn’t affected my loss or maintenance at all. I rarely weigh my food.

Exactly!