fruit pairing for chocolate sorbet?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
I was asked to bring chocolate sorbet to a dinner party next weekend. This is freezing now.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chocolate-sorbet-238249

In the summer I would serve this with fresh raspberries or strawberries. What fruit pairing would use at this time of year? Thinking pears but would you just serve raw slices or would you cook the pears? If so how? Would bananas turn this too much into a kid's dessert?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I vote for going with what's seasonal at the moment. The poached pears idea is a good one as is something related to oranges (though I don't actually like that combination).

Honestly I think something simple like raw pears sliced thinly with lightly or unsweetened whipped cream would work really well and would allow the flavor of the sorbet to take center stage.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    lililomo2 wrote: »
    oranges are always a good combo with chocolate...as long as the pith and membrane are removed. it will cut the sweetness of the chocolate - one of my faves! i do like @777Gemma888 's suggestions tho!

Thank you. 😊

Agree with your suggestion @oranges too. An idea would be to slice the oranges and cover them with dark chocolate on half of the segment. Basically, fresh chocolate covered oranges.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I vote for going with what's seasonal at the moment. The poached pears idea is a good one as is something related to oranges (though I don't actually like that combination).

Honestly I think something simple like raw pears sliced thinly with lightly or unsweetened whipped cream would work really well and would allow the flavor of the sorbet to take center stage.

Most especially if your pears are ripe. If they're not quite there, poaching is the best route. A simple apple cider spiced poach or marsala poach, then reduction should complement a subtler approach.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will try to find ripe pears to slice simply. If I only come across hard ones will poach in some mirin as I don't have marsala in the house. Oranges sound good too, but I hate the job of cutting away all the pith. Hubby has volunteered to prep the oranges so we might go with that.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I will try to find ripe pears to slice simply. If I only come across hard ones will poach in some mirin as I don't have marsala in the house. Oranges sound good too, but I hate the job of cutting away all the pith. Hubby has volunteered to prep the oranges so we might go with that.

Fantastic! 🙌 Looking forward to see the tableau. 👏👏👏
  • acpgee
    Options
    I am actually finding the idea of mirin and chocolate sorbet interesting. Wouldn't have normally thought of it without the marsala suggestion but as both flavours are quite clean I think it would work.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    I am actually finding the idea of mirin and chocolate sorbet interesting. Wouldn't have normally thought of it without the marsala suggestion but as both flavours are quite clean I think it would work.

I agree, the Mirin might work better. Cleaner palate finish. 👌
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    How about lightly poached orange segments in orange liqueur?
  • acpgee
    Options
    In a restaurant tonight I had a grape granita served with a lime mousse which was a terrific pairing. It added a creamy texture without tasting as creamy as whipped cream which what I normally serve with coffee granita. Seemed to be a combination of some cream, gelatin and beaten egg white. Does anyone have recipe suggestions for a similar concoction? It would be nice to find a less rich pairing for coffee granita.
  • 777Gemma888
    edited November 2018
    Options
    In a restaurant tonight I had a grape granita served with a lime mousse which was a terrific pairing. It added a creamy texture without tasting as creamy as whipped cream which what I normally serve with coffee granita. Seemed to be a combination of some cream, gelatin and beaten egg white. Does anyone have recipe suggestions for a similar concoction? It would be nice to find a less rich pairing for coffee granita.

Spiked crème fraiche or slightly sweetened sour cream would both work.

You're highlighting the gelatin whipped cream many use over the Summer months here. I have used one such recipe once, if memory serves. I'll try to dig it up tomorrow.

The combination sounds delectable. Thanks for sharing. 😋
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Frozen strawberries would work great!
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

I cannot find the recipe, however, I do remember you making panna cotta before. It's similar to that, only with a controlled dairy of choice, the gelatin stabiliser, allowing it to set, them whipping it up to a fluffy aerated consistency.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thanks. I googled, and some bavarois recipes sound similar to what I ate at the restaurant. It seemed to contain whipped cream, meringue and gelatin. Seems like a lot of work though.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Thanks. I googled, and some bavarois recipes sound similar to what I ate at the restaurant. It seemed to contain whipped cream, meringue and gelatin. Seems like a lot of work though.

Agree @ a lot of work, most especially requiring the requiring the meringue element.

It's just not a dish I'd favor skimping ingredients with, for a low calorie version though. Maybe just smaller servings?
  • acpgee
    Options
    And panna cotta with coffee granita would probably be nice. Maybe less work. I've never made one before.