Weighted bars at gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• LannyM74
    LannyM74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To be clear...when I say 'women's workout area', I don't mean that it is the only area that women are expected to workout. It is just a separate area, primarily with cardio equipment and floor mats that gives women the option of getting their exercise away from the guys. For a lot of women this cuts down on the intimidation factor in the beginning and helps us to 'figure stuff out'. While some might find it demeaning/sexist....personally I think anything that helps motivate a person to get off their butt and start going to the gym is a good thing.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Women's workout area?? :huh: :grumble: :noway: I'm insulted. There's no difference in how a woman should work out from how a man should work out.

Edited for spelling error from typing too fast....

My gym (Golds) has a "ladies preferred" area. There's no one saying anyone has to work out any certain way and there's no "special" equipment. Just some extra space and equipment. The intent, I believe, is privacy for women who feel uncomfortable working out surrounded by men. I don't really see what the big deal is. I'm assuming they spent the extra money on it because there's a market of women who love it.

I spend most of my time in there unless I'm using a barbell. It's nice and quiet and lots of floor space and I get to control the TV :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To be clear...when I say 'women's workout area', I don't mean that it is the only area that women are expected to workout. It is just a separate area, primarily with cardio equipment and floor mats that gives women the option of getting their exercise away from the guys. For a lot of women this cuts down on the intimidation factor in the beginning and helps us to 'figure stuff out'. While some might find it demeaning/sexist....personally I think anything that helps motivate a person to get off their butt and start going to the gym is a good thing.

I don't think it's demeaning or sexist. Just wrong headed. It tends to be full of three things. Cardio equipment, light weights, and newbies. It ends up perpetuating the myth about the special way women should work out and since advanced women don't work out in there there is no one to learn from/aspire to be
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

So is there another cardio/floor area for the guys or are you saying guys don't do these things? My gym even has kids in it.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    They are designed for barbell kegels.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Women's workout area?? :huh: :grumble: :noway: I'm insulted. There's no difference in how a woman should work out from how a man should work out.

Edited for spelling error from typing too fast....

My gym (Golds) has a "ladies preferred" area. There's no one saying anyone has to work out any certain way and there's no "special" equipment. Just some extra space and equipment. The intent, I believe, is privacy for women who feel uncomfortable working out surrounded by men. I don't really see what the big deal is. I'm assuming they spent the extra money on it because there's a market of women who love it.

I spend most of my time in there unless I'm using a barbell. It's nice and quiet and lots of floor space and I get to control the TV :)

Well, you didn't mention there was a TV :happy: That changes everything LOL I HATE that the TVs are always on the 5000 ESPN channels - a pet peeve of mine!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My gym has a womens area, but its identical to the main area, just smaller (1 power cage instead of 3, 6 treadmills insteas of 20, etc..). Women at my gym use both areas, but I live in an area heavily populated by muslim families, and muslim women prefer to workout in the company of women only so they dont have to remain covered and workout in their hijabs.