Weight lifting + weight gain but still overweight??

Options
I have been slow and stedy on my weight loss for the past 45 days. Only 9.7lbs lost. I’m 5 3” and started at 157. I eat 1200 cal a day and do Heavy cardio 4 times a week for 60min. My question is: I still have 20lbs to loose and this last week I started lifting weights on top of my cardio. Doms kicked in around day 3 of 4 then day 5 I was fine. I’m also on my TOM. But the scale is moving UP. I have gained 4lbs even though I’m taking bloat meds for water control ( only during my TOM will I use this) so should I stop lifting weights and go back to the weight lifting program or stick it out and hope everything comes together?

Replies

• evagoonan
    evagoonan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Am in the same boat ! If you ask me I think is frustrating.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You've already identified why you gained a fewclbs: new to weights and TOM. This is perfectly normal and nothing to stress over. Keep weight lifting and keep weighing your food and logging. It can take 1-2 weeks for these things to even out.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Stick it out. The weight will go back down and lifting weights will help you maintain muscle mass.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Water retention happens with both TOM and weight lifting. Both of these things are natural physiological processes and don't need to be tampered with. The scale increase is a temporary blip. Once TOM is over the scale will drop a bit, and as your body adjusts to the weights, it will drop again. It may take a while for the body to adjust to the weights (it took me about 4 weeks, might have been 6, I don't remember anymore). Keep doing what you're doing.