Alternative to Strong Curves for Female

Options
Hello All!
I’ve done Strong Curves and looking for another similar program to take a break from Strong Curves. My main focus is glute and upper leg growth, secondary goal - getting stronger overall (full body). I’m not looking to get ripped. Just toning and lower body muscle growth. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    There are many that can give you the results but unfortunately there is never a one program works for everybody the same. It really dependant how you respond.

I've coached many women that S.C. didn't give them the exact results they had in mind or wanted more efficient programming for their needs.

I usually run them with a barbell LP for a very short period of time and then transition them onto the more advanced autoegulated programming something similar to the Bridge but custom made for their needs and how they respond to training.

I would suggest seeking a well experienced personal trainer that has a high track record and understands the benefits of barbell traing as well.

If that isn't a option for you, than search out a general hypertrophy program that has volume at a useful intensity for your current load or just slightly higher for the equipment you have available and try one out and see how you respond.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Perhaps the 10K KB Swings in a month Challenge. Before Strong Curves, Bret Contreras used to swear that the best thing for glute development was a heavy KB swing, using around 1/3 your bodyweight. I never really figured out why he went away from that philosophy because he seemed dead convinced of it.

I think the issue was one of execution. First of all, he couldn't get gyms to carry KBs that heavy and second of all, I think gyms were opposed to it for liability reasons.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/are-heavy-kettlebell-swings-better-than-deadlifts

He recommends you work your way up. 1/3 bodyweight KBs are no joke. You must have absolutely killer form. I certainly wouldn't start out that heavy.

I think he touches on it here why he ultimately gave up and went another route with "Strong Curves":

However, as athletes and clients advance in kettlebell swings, you must progress them in load. I know most gyms and athletic facilities don't carry heavy-*kitten* kettlebells, so I'm calling for action here!
    Fitness equipment manufacturers need to start mass-producing heavy-*kitten* kettlebells, and lifters, coaches, and gym owners need to start buying them. At the end of this article I'll provide several options that allow for heavy swinging.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    I've used Renaissance Periodization's programs before - they have some excellent templates but also offer 1-on-1 programming etc.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of women like thinner leaner stronger. It has glute work involved. I've done the beginning SC program and right now I'm using the template in the book to kinda do my own thing. Was planning on starting the advanced program but just haven't yet. Right now I'm kind of in a funk, not sure what I want to do.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to stay on a full body program? I like doing an upper/lower split. I add in glute specific exercises on my lower days.
  • svetlananash661
    svetlananash661 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to stay on a full body program? I like doing an upper/lower split. I add in glute specific exercises on my lower days.

I don’t mind a full body program but prefer focus on building upper legs and glutes. I guess you could say 75% lower body and 25% upper body.
    I really don’t do well without a structure hence need a program. I tried Abby Pollock’s program but after 2 months started thinking it wasn’t for me as I felt better on Strong Curves.
  • svetlananash661
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of women like thinner leaner stronger. It has glute work involved. I've done the beginning SC program and right now I'm using the template in the book to kinda do my own thing. Was planning on starting the advanced program but just haven't yet. Right now I'm kind of in a funk, not sure what I want to do.

I looked at thinner leaner stronger but concerned that a lot of it has fat loss focus. I don’t have any fat to lose and would actually love to gain some in certain areas. But since fat gain can’t be area specific, I’m just maintaining my 135 lbs at 5’7 height. This is why I’m looking to add muscle to legs. Legs have always been a struggle as naturally I’m thin and don’t gain weight at all unless I set a goal to do so. Kinda the opposite of what most programs and books are focused on - losing weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I looked at thinner leaner stronger but concerned that a lot of it has fat loss focus. I don’t have any fat to lose and would actually love to gain some in certain areas. But since fat gain can’t be area specific, I’m just maintaining my 135 lbs at 5’7 height. This is why I’m looking to add muscle to legs. Legs have always been a struggle as naturally I’m thin and don’t gain weight at all unless I set a goal to do so. Kinda the opposite of what most programs and books are focused on - losing weight.

You can run most programs in a deficit, maintenance or surplus. I have run Strong Curves and similar programming doing all three. If you want to gain muscle, the most important factor will be calorie intake, if you aren't gaining, then you need to eat more to put you into a surplus. While you can't spot gain fat, you can help spot gain muscle (for example you can look at the size of my upper body vs lower).
  • svetlananash661
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

You can run most programs in a deficit, maintenance or surplus. I have run Strong Curves and similar programming doing all three. If you want to gain muscle, the most important factor will be calorie intake, if you aren't gaining, then you need to eat more to put you into a surplus. While you can't spot gain fat, you can help spot gain muscle (for example you can look at the size of my upper body vs lower).

You look amazing!
    I’ve been focusing on eating at a small surplus while also struggling to find a program I can stick to. Otherwise all my surplus will turn into fat, and certain areas (like stomach) already have enough of that haha! So far no changes in weight or measurements - been 2 months.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options

I don’t mind a full body program but prefer focus on building upper legs and glutes. I guess you could say 75% lower body and 25% upper body.
    I really don’t do well without a structure hence need a program. I tried Abby Pollock’s program but after 2 months started thinking it wasn’t for me as I felt better on Strong Curves.

This another program that you may want to try.
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/muscle-and-strength-womens-workout
    It can be done in maintenance, deficit, or surplus. Per the author if you are not running a deficit or trying to lose fat you can skip the cardio.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

You look amazing!
    I’ve been focusing on eating at a small surplus while also struggling to find a program I can stick to. Otherwise all my surplus will turn into fat, and certain areas (like stomach) already have enough of that haha! So far no changes in weight or measurements - been 2 months.

Thanks! Yea it took many years to get here. I have similar issues finding a program, I've tried others but always ended up back at Bret's program style.
  • lnielsen18
    lnielsen18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of your comments. There is more than one way to get results. And you could get there multiple ways. But big muscle groups tend to require some effort And rest periods will assure maximum results. But moderate loads and more reps and sessions will get it done also, you just have to do lower body more often. I,d still recommend plenty of recovery time. Thanks for offering alternative counterpoint to my comment. Do what works for you don,t get stuck thinking one method works for everyone.
  • svetlananash661
    Options
    After much thinking which way to go, I saw Bret Contreras has a subscription program Booty by Bret. I don’t know if it’s new or not but I haven’t been able to find much feedback info or reviews. Possibly a new version of Get Glutes? At $30/month it’s on the higher end of what I would pay but if I respond well, I don’t mind paying for it. I live in San Diego where Bret just opened his Glute Lab but it’s too far from where I live and they are only open 1/2 day on weekends. Maybe later down the road it’d be another option to consider.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    After much thinking which way to go, I saw Bret Contreras has a subscription program Booty by Bret. I don’t know if it’s new or not but I haven’t been able to find much feedback info or reviews. Possibly a new version of Get Glutes? At $30/month it’s on the higher end of what I would pay but if I respond well, I don’t mind paying for it. I live in San Diego where Bret just opened his Glute Lab but it’s too far from where I live and they are only open 1/2 day on weekends. Maybe later down the road it’d be another option to consider.

fitness blender has a booty workout which is either 4 or 6 weeks and its only 9.99
  • sardelsa
    Options

I believe it's a new version of his Strong by Bret (which I also heard great things about) I wish I could justify the cost right now otherwise I'd definitely try it out. He might have a trial to test it out? I would imagine it would be similar template to Strong Curves/Get Glutes, with extra glute stuff and new exercises each month which is fun.

Ahhh that is awesome I wish I lived closer I would love to visit his glute lab!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I haven't done the programs, but Stephanie Buttmore, girlfriend of Jeff Nippard, has designed some programs that are largely focused on lower body. Her hypertrophy book is like $40 or something to that standard.