Exercise ideas for full time working mum

Options
Hi all,
I am struggling to keep up with kids morning routine, office, kids evening pickup and dinners for family. I really wish to add some exercise.

I have now started walking where possible (avoiding bus, walking at lunch time etc). I will also be taking once in a week dance class in the evening just for couple of months.

How do you manage working out while taking care of family and handling full time job??

I need some ideas and motivation please!!!

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you’re not a single mom, is there a way some of that load can be handled by your partner? Lots of gyms have daycare as well. Get a sitter a few times a week? Maybe trade off watching kids with another mom who’s like some time to herself?
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,514 Member
    Options
    I found I have to prioritize myself when it comes to exercise. I will try to use the elliptical or do a video in the morning on really busy days, but will usually get a babysitter once a week so a I can do a really good workout after work.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Find another mom in the same situation and trade off workout/childcare time??
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with DVDs and YouTube videos before anyone wakes up. Simplifying my morning routine by preplanning and prepping at night helps this.

When my son no longer needed after school care I started going to the gym after work. My hubby also helps out whe he can so I can have my me time.
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I am doing group dance workout once a week while my husband takes care of kids.

I like the idea of working out in the morning - just need to get into habit of waking up before others then 😴😬
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Spadhnik wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I am doing group dance workout once a week while my husband takes care of kids.

I like the idea of working out in the morning - just need to get into habit of waking up before others then 😴😬

There's 7 days in a week, that's 3 days each of looking after the kids and a day together?
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You just need to make time. That might sound harsh and I really don't mean it to, but I know (as a mum who is working full time and studying too) that you have to make your healthy lifestyle a priority. Parents tend to put the kids first and it's natural that we do that, but having a healthy happy mum will benefit them in the long run.

I have to get up at 4.30am if I want to work out on a morning and sometimes I will do that. One of my sons is in to Pokemon go so we go for a walk around the park while he finds pokemon which gets my step count up for the day. I take the boys swimming and we've even gone to a trampoline centre as a family and all had an hour of jumping (that does torch some calories!). If I am doing strength I do it at home in the evenings when the boys are in bed, I just have a couple of dumbbells, kettlebells and do body weight stuff. Then twice a week we pay my nephew to babysit 2 hours and my husband goes to football and I go to running club.

It doesn't have to be going to the gym or classes....there are lots of ways you can do some exercise around the house and even involve the kids (if they are old enough). Me and my boys challenge each other to see how many times we can run up and down the stairs in 20 minutes.....my 12 year old beats me every time but it's a great way to get your heart rate up! :)
  • happytot
    happytot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a full time working mum also and as witchy wife says you need to make time. I used to feel so guilty going for my walk/run as I felt I never see the kids as I work so much but it’s only 30/40 mins and my kids much prefer to have a healthy fit mum to go cycling or swimming with them. So my tip would be just do 30 mins for 20 days, this tip was given to me and now I am in the habit. I am getting into running as it burns more calories than walking also 30 day shred is fantastic and you don’t need to leave the house. I don’t have a set time to exercise just whenever I get a free 30 mins. Some other mums I work with go straight after work but unfortunately I can’t as I need to collect kids.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I wake up 4am before everyone else and workout at home for 30 - 60 mins depending on the rourine. Of course you need to make it a priority and eventually it develops into a sustainable habit.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Im a stay at home mom of three with one on the way. Although I stay home, my day is not mine :( the only consistent time I’ve found that works for me is early before anyone is up. I’m out the door by 535 and home by 715 when hubby leaves for work.

It’s not easy some mornings, especially being 6 months pregnant, but it’s a priority and it’s very important to me. I have not always been a morning person either. You just have to consistently do it, and it gets easier.
    Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When the kids were very young and in no activities of their own, I left them with their dad a couple of times per week to exercise, plus I had invested in a treadmill to jog while the kids were playing.
    Since they are old enough to be in afterschool activities I schedule my workouts around these activities, e.g. I go to the pool while my youngest is having practice, or I go for pilates to a place close to my eldest's music lessons while he has his guitar lesson.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Spadhnik wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am struggling to keep up with kids morning routine, office, kids evening pickup and dinners for family. I really wish to add some exercise.

I have now started walking where possible (avoiding bus, walking at lunch time etc). I will also be taking once in a week dance class in the evening just for couple of months.

How do you manage working out while taking care of family and handling full time job??

I need some ideas and motivation please!!!

My wife and I both work and fitness is an important aspect of both of our lives. We alternate taking care of domestic responsibilities. For example, I go to the gym on Mondays and Thursdays during the week...she cooks those nights...I do the cooking on the other nights so she can get to the gym or go for a run. During the work week, I usually cycle in the early mornings...in the summer this helps me beat the heat and I am out and back in time to get ready for work and take the kids to school. This time of year, I'm on my indoor bike trainer for the most part during the week and I'm up early and riding in my living room. Sometimes on Tuesday and Friday I take my bike to work with me and ride at lunch...not always feasible, but I do it when I can. We both put a big emphasis on getting our fitness in on the weekends as well.
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all ideas
    On top of dance class, I would be doing 10k steps (no bus most of the travelling + lunch time walk), and will be trying out C25K in the evening when I pick up kids...

I could ask my husband to take kids to clubs on Saturday morning so I can stay home and do workout videos

As everyone suggests regarding consistency , i really hope to find consistency with winter coming up (finger cross).
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Husband is definitely key here ... I am sure he can look after the kids for one hour a day

When you have the kids, do something physical with them ... Monday morning I ran 10k, Monday afternoon I played “catch the goat” in the playground with my daughter ... guess which one had me gasping for breath and aching