Gym diet/foods??

Options
sflano1783
sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi just wondering do I need to go on a special diet for the gym? I need to lose weight plus try maintain my muscles then eventually build my muscles to make them bigger after I lose weight.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    no. just eat less to lose weight and work out to maintain your muscles. You can always bulk later on if you want to build muscles once you've lost a bit of the weight.
  • sflano1783
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    no. just eat less to lose weight and work out to maintain your muscles. You can always bulk later on if you want to build muscles once you've lost a bit of the weight.

Ok cool but I feel hungry most of the time even though I drink 2-3litres of water everyday😨
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,431 Member
    Options
    The best bet would be good balanced nutrition with adequate/ample protein, adequate healthy fats, and plenty of fruits/veggies for micronutrients and fiber. Fancy/expensive supplements and unusual ways of eating are unnecessary, though certain supplements can be helpful if you find yourself struggling to get all the desired nutrients from food (food is the best idea if you can make it work, though). Sticking to a calorie goal that includes a sensible calorie deficit for weight loss will be the route to lose weight.

If you want to preserve existing muscle as much as possible, losing weight at a reasonable rate - not too fast - is a good plan. One rule of thumb is to lose at most 1% of current body weight weekly on average, and less than that when within around 25-50 pounds of goal weight. (Slower than that is always fine, if it's more sustainable and easier to do).

Adequate sleep is also a good part of the plan, along with exercise appropriate to your fitness goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »

Ok cool but I feel hungry most of the time even though I drink 2-3litres of water everyday😨

You're either trying to lose weight too fast and not eating enough, and/or not focusing of foods that satiate you.

What's your age, height, weight, and goal weight?

What weekly weight loss goal did you select?

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • sflano1783
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You're either trying to lose weight too fast and not eating enough, and/or not focusing of foods that satiate you.

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Hi im 28 years old male and im 95kg my goal weight would be 65kg I selected 1kg weightloss per week I think.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Well, yeah—water doesn’t have any calories. .75 kilos per week is probably a better goal for you at this point, especially if you feel hungry a lot. A little hunger is normal, but it shouldn’t be following you around all day, know what I mean?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options

Hm if you're that hungry you most likely need to be eating more. I never set an aggressive deficit because I hate being hungry and it makes me end up bingeing if I go hungry for too long. So I always just go down about 200-300 calories below maintenance and make sure I eat volume foods (stuff that looks like i'm eating HEAPS but in fact it's only like 300 calories), and I kind of cycle my calories so that I get 1-2 days where I can eat more, it helps to keep me on track on the days where I get hungry. The knowledge that it's OK - in 2 days time I get to eat "normal" :)

I only lose 500g a week.

I will get peckish in the evening but not STARVING.

I have run programs where I was starving hungry and it sucked.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hi im 28 years old male and im 95kg my goal weight would be 65kg I selected 1kg weightloss per week I think.
    It shouldn't be surprising you are hungry if you picked the highest deficit.

Don't set an aggressive calorie deficit if you want to perform well in the gym. Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • sflano1783
    Options

Hm if you're that hungry you most likely need to be eating more. I never set an aggressive deficit because I hate being hungry and it makes me end up bingeing if I go hungry for too long. So I always just go down about 200-300 calories below maintenance and make sure I eat volume foods (stuff that looks like i'm eating HEAPS but in fact it's only like 300 calories), and I kind of cycle my calories so that I get 1-2 days where I can eat more, it helps to keep me on track on the days where I get hungry. The knowledge that it's OK - in 2 days time I get to eat "normal" :)

I only lose 500g a week.

I will get peckish in the evening but not STARVING.

I have run programs where I was starving hungry and it sucked.

I get peckish in the evenings aswell I reach for a plain biscuit sometimes.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options

I have managed to curb my peckishness with a frozen juice tube (like kid's frozen juice thingy). It's only 36 ish calories each and you suck on it for ages and it's just plain fruit juice. Helps me heaps!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I have managed to curb my peckishness with a frozen juice tube (like kid's frozen juice thingy). It's only 36 ish calories each and you suck on it for ages and it's just plain fruit juice. Helps me heaps!!

Popsicles made with sugar-free jello.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    OP, I find that focusing on getting enough protein and fat are important to help me feel full. Vegetables are a great way to add bulk without adding a lot of calories, but may not stick with you as long, so pair that with something like cheese or peanut butter.

You might need to play around with your food choices until you find the right balance for you. Being hungry once in a while is okay, but it shouldn't be an all-day hungry.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options
    yep - what @nutmegoreo said - shouldn't be hungry the whole time!

the sugar free jello thing many people turn to, but i'm a tin-foil-hat-wearing-anti-artificial-sweetners type :) so no fake sugar for me. And i can make my 36 calories of carbs fit my diary.

If you don't mind artificial sweetners then definitely do the jello thing. most people i know swear by it.

By the way, if I don't eat enough carbs, me personally, I am a raving hungry lunatic. But that's just me.