went over 1500 calories this week, but I also exercised 1941 calories this week

Options
zumbagirl2526
zumbagirl2526 Posts: 30 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hello everyone,

I've been beating myself up all night for going 1500 calories over my total suggested caloric intake for weightloss.

However, I did exercise for 1941 calories this week also. I'm wondering if that will help to make up for it?

I'm not really good at math, but can someone please explain to me how much damage did I do if any towards losing my 1lb to 1/2lb goal for the week?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I think you sound okay.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you went over your calorie goal by 1500 but burned 1941 through exercise that should put you at a net below you calorie goal assuming that your calories burned is accurate, a lot of tools used to estimate calories burned over-estimate.
  • zumbagirl2526
    Options
    lizcarpenter146, I dance zumba and use dance workout videos for most of my calories burned. Do you think the zumba calories burned is overestimated?
  • zumbagirl2526
    Options
    If you went over your calorie goal by 1500 but burned 1941 through exercise that should put you at a net below you calorie goal assuming that your calories burned is accurate, a lot of tools used to estimate calories burned over-estimate.

lizcarpenter146, I dance zumba and use dance workout videos for most of my calories burned. Do you think the zumba calories burned is overestimated?
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It just depends on what you are using to calculate the calories. I know MFP tends to give very generous calorie burns for workouts. It may be more accurate if you are using a fitbit or something like that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Weight management all comes down to math. Might want to brush up on it to give yourself the confidence you need to be successful now and in the long term.

The equation is Calories In, Calories Out or CICO

If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight (CI<CO)

If you burn and consume the same calories you will maintain (CI=CO)

If you consume more calories than you burn you will gain (CI>CO)

Your exercise calories, combined with all the calories you burn just from being alive and your day to day activities, are your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) or your CO .

If you are using the MFP method for setting calorie targets then you’re supposed to eat back those exercise calories as they aren’t included in your goal.

Have you read the stickied most helpful forum posts?