How do you keep going / stay consistent?

2»

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    The tone of your post is exhausted, frustrated, and sad. That was me, and a lot of us! I honestly couldn’t get started with any habit changing until I started seeing a behavioral therapist. She helped me break down the habit changes into tiny manageable chunks, and also helped me identify sources of stress that were making it feel impossible to change.

Don’t be afraid to reach out to a mental health professional if you feel that your happiness and your life choices are being negatively affected by your eating, how you feel about your body, your self-confidence, your stress, etc.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    No matter what we do or don't do time still moves forward. So I can either work on me and be healthier 2 months, 6 months, a year from now or doing nothing and have no results. Either way the time will still pass, might as well make the most it and my future.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    What I did was start with my diet..I didn't start exercising..(walking) until I lost almost all my weight. I liked it that way, because when being overweight and out of shape makes it too difficult to suddenly hit the gym and restrict eating. Almost too much of a negative change..or seems that way. Also..when I started eating healthy...gosh I felt so much better.

After I lost most of the weight.. I went on a vacation where I had to walk a lot and all the time. I did eat what I wanted for those two weeks....and was shocked that I didn't regain.

So, with that.. I realized if I walked fast for exercise I would more easily maintain my loss.

So, now that I walk and eat healthy and have lost all my weight... at this point I'm ready to start lifting weights..because I can see how doing that will firm and shape me ..even make me smaller without having to restrict food more.

So.. baby steps really...they're easy to take. Also..take photos in your underwear and look at them each day.. it kept me on track. I never want to go back to that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have started and given up for 16 years. When I start I last a week or two then always give up because I'm sore or tired or eat way too much. Then I just stop.

I'm 5ft2, 46yo and 210 pounds. I hate how bad I feel when I exercise. I'm heavy and clunky.

What I want to know from those of you who have lost weight is, how did you just keep going?

@coolbluecris

Weight loss is about calorie deficit. Exercise is for cardiovascular, muscular, and skeletal health.

So, start with one thing. I'd start with food, personally.

Can you commit to logging your food for a week? No changes, just log what you currently eat. After a week, look back through your food log. Where can you make a small, sustainable change? Maybe switch one soda out for water, or pass on one calorie-laden frappuccino a week. Do that, while continuing to log everything else. After your first change feels like second nature, then go back to your food diary and determine where you can make another small change. Maybe you commit to having a veggie with both lunch and dinner. Do that until it feels normal while continuing to log everything. See where I'm going with this? ;)

You've been struggling for 16 years. Maybe something slow and sustainable, rather than speedy and restrictive, will be the magic bullet. Maybe it takes 5 years to get to where you want to be. Wouldn't that be better than continuing to yo-yo and ending up at 240 pounds (random number) when you are 51?

Good luck!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    I have started and given up for 16 years. When I start I last a week or two then always give up because I'm sore or tired or eat way too much. Then I just stop.

I'm 5ft2, 46yo and 210 pounds. I hate how bad I feel when I exercise. I'm heavy and clunky.

What I want to know from those of you who have lost weight is, how did you just keep going?

Weight loss is about calorie deficit. Exercise is for cardiovascular, muscular, and skeletal health.

So, start with one thing. I'd start with food, personally.

Can you commit to logging your food for a week? No changes, just log what you currently eat. After a week, look back through your food log. Where can you make a small, sustainable change? Maybe switch one soda out for water, or pass on one calorie-laden frappuccino a week. Do that, while continuing to log everything else. After your first change feels like second nature, then go back to your food diary and determine where you can make another small change. Maybe you commit to having a veggie with both lunch and dinner. Do that until it feels normal while continuing to log everything. See where I'm going with this? ;)

You've been struggling for 16 years. Maybe something slow and sustainable, rather than speedy and restrictive, will be the magic bullet. Maybe it takes 5 years to get to where you want to be. Wouldn't that be better than continuing to yo-yo and ending up at 240 pounds (random number) when you are 51?

Good luck!

Super solid advice. ^^