Gained 9 pounds in one week on unlimited vegetables and shirataki noodles.

Options
On a side note, I lost 7 pounds in one week on unlimited candy, chocolate, and ice cream.

These were two experiments I did by the way. I know for a fact that I was consuming well under my TDEE (actually, more like under 1,000 calories) on unlimited non-starchy veggies and shirataki, because of how uncomfortably full I got. I wanted to eat more but I was too full.

While on my candy/chocolate/ice cream experiment, I consumed at LEAST 2,500 calories per day. I'm talking an entire tub of ice cream per day in addition to the candy/chocolate. I'm confused (and shocked) in terms of my results. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Replies

• davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One week is not a sufficient period of time for any experiment involving body weight. People experience fluctuations in their measured weight that are perfectly reasonably explained over such short period of time such as:
    • electrolyte balance
    • constipation
    • inflammation
    • your scale needs new batteries
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    The "diet" stuff and why your weight probably fluctuated the way it did has already been covered, but as someone who also has IBS if you're going to try eliminating foods to see what exactly bothers you and what doesn't you'll need to give it more time and be very accurate as to what you stop eating, when, if/when you add it back into your diet and how you feel along the way.

It's tedious and takes patience but can pay off if you figure out your trigger foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    If you're a woman with a menstrual cycle you need to give any weight loss experiment at least a month and compare yourself to where you were at a similar point in your cycle last month.

However, since you have IBS-C and chronic constipation, I recommend against any drastic experiments. Just focus on eating what's best for your condition. Perhaps ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian?

Also, how well are you managing stress? My mom's IBS kicks in when she is in high stress periods. Otherwise she manages it well with acacia fiber and eating insoluble veggies after soluble.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    On a side note, I lost 7 pounds in one week on unlimited candy, chocolate, and ice cream.

These were two experiments I did by the way. I know for a fact that I was consuming well under my TDEE (actually, more like under 1,000 calories) on unlimited non-starchy veggies and shirataki, because of how uncomfortably full I got. I wanted to eat more but I was too full.

While on my candy/chocolate/ice cream experiment, I consumed at LEAST 2,500 calories per day. I'm talking an entire tub of ice cream per day in addition to the candy/chocolate. I'm confused (and shocked) in terms of my results. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Unless you used a food scale, weighed everything in grams, and logged meticulously, I would be very skeptical of your "findings."

Did you use soy sauce or something super sodium laden on your noodles?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Agree with many others that a) a week of anything is basically useless data b) if you're looking for triggers to your IBS, you need to go on a proper (and managed) elimination diet, which takes MONTHS to do properly. After all of that, if you know your "trigger" foods, you can then begin to develop an eating plan around those things.

Weight gain or loss in a week's time is normal - I'm healthy, eat similarly most of the time, and a hot weekend at the track where I consume electrolytes (aka more sodium than normal) can have as much as a 5+ pound weight swing for me, and it can take upwards of 5 days for it to fall back off, which it is prone to doing in wooshes of a pound or more a day.

The reality is my weight probably didn't change much at all (or within my goals if it did) but the scale changing is not an indication of any real gains or losses.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm interested in how you were able to eat Shirataki noodles for a whole week. Tried them once, hated them. Gave them a second shot, still hated them. That rubbery texture is REALLY hard to get around.

Edit: Spelling