First training class. Super sore

Options
Hi there
Just did my first group training class yesterday. Im def not in shape. I am so sore today, having hard time just moving around, walking, squating, putting on shoes. Im stretching and using foam roller. Should i do the training class tmw or should i just walk till i recover and feel better?

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i'd walk. and drink a ton of water. maybe epsom (sic?) salt bath if its super bad.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I'd probably pick a lighter activity or class if you're very sore, but some light movement would probably be good.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Not sure the type of class you did, but is there a possibility that you could do it with less intensity?

I am not an avid exercise person so consistency and variety are key for me.

When I start a new class I usually end up with DOMS.
    I go to the next class, even if I am still sore, but really back down on what I am doing- hold poses for a shorter time, switch out to a lighter weight, do fewer squats in the time allotted, etc.

I have taken this route because if I miss one class I will find it easier to skip another, YMMV.

Assess how you feel and go from there.

Cheers, h.
  • kauseemcee3
    kauseemcee3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I find that if I allow at least 48 hours between workouts, I’m good to go again. Your body will get use to it and you will be less sore the more frequently you work out a certain muscle hence why I do full body workouts every second day. You’ll still be sore but definitely not like you have been. Hope this helps, it gets easier once you have a routine in place. I wouldn’t go two days in a row, give your body some rest and tough it out tomorrow
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    If there's a day in between (i.e., 2 sleeps), I'd probably do the class again, but be very attentive to any true pain, and modify if needed.

On the intervening day, light activity (stretching, yoga, easy walk, etc.) would be good, along with things like warm bath (epsom salts if you've got 'em), heating pad, foam roller. Stretching and icing right after the problem activity is a good plan, too.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’m always crazy sore after my first workout in awhile. Keep going, your muscles just aren’t used to being used so much! The second one is always better.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    owlcake wrote: »
    Hi there
    Just did my first group training class yesterday. Im def not in shape. I am so sore today, having hard time just moving around, walking, squating, putting on shoes. Im stretching and using foam roller. Should i do the training class tmw or should i just walk till i recover and feel better?

Been there done that. Usually for me it has been a caste of muscles being used in a new way and needing to adjust Not so much a being in and out of shape issue. I can still be extremely sore when changing my routines, though I am in good shape.
    I recall one class where the first time I had trouble getting into the factory I worked in as I was too sore. and I needed to cross a hygiene barrier My co-workers thought it soo funny.
    Something similar has always happened when I started something completely new. Just drinking ton of water, gentle walking, hot baths and at least 48 hours till he next time always worked for me
    Usually after the third time the soreness was gone as my muscles had gotten used to the new movements
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When you are starting a new exercise routine, you can really get super sore. Honestly, if it were me, I would opt for the walk and do the class once a week until I could do it with less soreness. It's not going to do you any good to try to push through the pain because it could impact your form, and in the end, possibly cause injury. Good luck!! :)