November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Here's a foot photo I forgot to share earlier. 8 days post-op when they cleaned it, checked it and put a new cast on it. I think the angle makes it look weird because it looks like I have no ankle.
    ylfmn91zngdt.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I went away for the weekend and did my long run on Friday (80 mins). I overindulged, so I found yesterday's intervals quite difficult after the three-day break, but my pace seemed pretty good (for slow me) despite how I felt.

I bought two pairs of fleece-lined, water-resistant bottoms to help keep me going now that it's constantly raining and hovering around/below freezing. Old Navy had some on sale for $18, and I tried them out in -2C yesterday. Very cozy and comfy. They're called Go-Warm. The other ones were $120 from Running Room, and they have a nice outer shell so should be better for wind/rain. Pretty big price difference though. I hope I prefer the Old Navy ones!

The rest of my week is easy (free Garmin 10K plan). I believe it's called a cutback week, which I've never had before. I'm on track to meet my monthly goal. Do y'all plan cutback weeks regularly into your schedules?

Ohh great Information on thr bottoms! I'll have to remember that if i ever get run again (jealousy and sadness). :wink:

Last year i bought a pair of 100$ ski pants I thought I'd bike in... I'm so embarrassed at how lazy I am. Wait, i had surgery last January.... So maybe i was gimpy and not lazy... (Still jealous and grumpin')...

I do find i naturally want a cut back about once a month. Its usually about the third week of the month. I'd bet that's something taylored to each individual with respect to endurance and conditioning. I made it 6+ weeks with daily exercise. Then had aches and pains get me. But even with daily exercise, i still did a cut back.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I should print out your last post and tape it to the refrigerator.
    I'm still looking for the strength to exercise that level of discipline.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Y’all I’m back for some advice. Since it’s starting to get really cold, does anyone have any recommendations for good running jackets and warm running leggings/tights? Hopefully something that won’t break the bank too 😂

It is all about layers, not one big heavy thing... and wearing less than you right now think you need.

Feet, look for merino wool. Darn Tough and Smart Wool are great brands. Same for the hat.

Unless you can stop to drop things off someplace, you will want to start your run a little chilly. If you are comfortable at the start, you will be too hot later in your run. If your run is going to cross sunset, plan for the temp drop once the sun is gone.

Key places to keep warm are your chest & extremities. Legs are usually fine (they are doing most of the work), but toes and fingers can be an issue. Wind is a big issue in the cold temps so some kind of windbreaker makes a big difference when it is windy.

Chapstick is a big deal too. :) Which sadly I am out of.

I wear mostly brand name stuff so it is pricey but I am sure you can find off brand stuff cheaper.

My coldest weather kit is: UA baclava, UA base layer cold gear shirt, UA storm pullover 1/4 zip, North Face wind barrier hooded jacket, UA Fleece pants, Darn Tough wool socks, and UA cold gear gloves, and some noname brand wool hat I found somewhere.

Notice each layer is somewhat thin, but stack them together and they are greater than the sum of their parts would seem. Layers work better than big bulky things in general, plus they allow you more flexibility.

I also find a good pair of sunglass help because they keep the wind out of your moist eyes.

I have a medical condition of some kind, were at 50 degrees and below my fingers and toes get painfully cold so I use hand/foot warmers when gloves and wool socks are not enough.

If that does not cut it, I hop on a dreadmill. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    I just registered for a 5k trail run....
    never done a trail run 😬

Trail runs are the best!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    11/1 - 0 km
    11/2 - 12 miles
    11/3 - 0 km
    11/4 - 13.1 km
    11/5 - 0km
    11/6 - 8.5 miles
    11/7 - 12 miles
    11/8 - 10 miles
    11/9 - Escape Room - 0km
    11/10 - 1 hr @ 6.5 mph 3% grade
    11/11 - 11 miles.
    11/12 - Cardologist appoint bah
    11/13 - Blasted Google ruined everything
    11/14 - 11 miles

Upcoming Races:

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Re X-rays for stress fractures: Last year (almost to the day in fact) my doctor suspected I had a stress fracture and ordered an x-ray. Obviously, it didn't show anything, but four weeks later he ordered another x-ray to be taken, and you could definitely see the lump of extra bone as the fracture was in the healing process. In that respect, x-rays aren't entirely pointless in that they can be used to confirm the original diagnosis. Obviously an MRI is preferred, but an MRI is also waaaay more expensive.
    @garygse - this is exactly what the podiatrist told me and she will do a follow up x-ray in 3 weeks. The problem though (for me and possibly for others) is that the 1st x-ray was negative/inconclusive so my regular doctor said no fracture, likely a nerve issue you should be fine walking all over DisneyWorld...but see the podiatrist. It also meant I couldn't get an earlier appointment to the podiatrist (I was actually told if the x-ray showed a break they could get me in that day!). It was over 3 weeks wait for the doctor I did see and would have been more than 6 weeks to see the original referral doctor. A lot of additional damage could be done when they make a diagnosis based on an initial x-ray.

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I forgot to update my ticker with my last run on Monday. Tuesday was a scheduled rest day, yesterday and today additional days to allow my back to heal. Feeling better this morning but still not 100%. I might take the dogs for a short walk before work as a test. As it feels now, might be another couple days before I run again.. better to be safe than sorry.

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

omgoodness yes
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    xqxjp1jqc0ho.jpeg

December races are being planned.
    This is the plan to date:
    12/01/2018 Fainting Goat 5k Trail Run - Registered
    12/08/2018 Reindeer Run 10k - Registered

I am trying to convince running buddy for one more. I think my husband might set a race budget pretty soon :s

exercise.png

and i shared this with all my runner friends