Anyone else suffer from migraines?

Options
13»

Replies

• SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Aimovig once-a-month injection is new and it's changed my life.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I don’t try to go to the gym with migraines. I get nausea so I usually grab gravol and a cool towel and listen to podcasts in darkness. But I will mention estrogen birth control can cause migraines and I’ve barely had any since I went off of it. I hadn’t even considered it as a possibility!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    When I got new glasses a few years back they used a different type of glass and I started getting Ocular Migraines. They were exactly like this:

ocular-migraine-2-330x220.jpg

It's animated here:

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm

They mostly went away after a few weeks but bright light has triggered them a few times since then.

These are much less painful and debilitating than what everyone else is describing on this thread, but I still wouldn't force myself to workout during one.

Once it happened when I was walking in the woods (after accidentally looking directly into the sun), and I finished my walk, but I would not have left the house and driven to my walk had it started sooner.
  • LatoyasTime
    LatoyasTime Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a magnesium supplement? I've heard it's great for people who suffer from migraines.
  • mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My wife has had severe migraines since she was a child. They get worse around her period and the main trigger when it’s not her TOM is carbs(mostly sweet stuff). She use to eat a raw diet which helped about 50%. Now she’s doing a Keto-ish diet which she read about in a book about migraines written by Angela Stanton. She’s at about 90% improvement when it’s not her TOM and 50% during TOM.
    So basically her goal is to prevent them, but when they do happen she doesn’t workout until she isn’t feeling fragile anymore (usually at least 1 day past end of severe symptoms)
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    the natural ways to help alleviate them are as follows
    Per the world's foremost Naturopathic doctor:
    Dr. Weil first recommends eliminating coffee (including decaffeinated coffee) as well as all other sources of caffeine from your daily routine. Make sure you are not taking any OTC or prescription drugs that contain it. Once you are completely off caffeine, you can use coffee or other forms of caffeine as an effective and immediate treatment for migraine. Drink one or two cups of strong coffee at the first sign of an attack, then lie down in a dark, quiet room.

Eliminate dietary triggers of migraine and also avoid all artificial sweeteners, including aspartame (NutraSweet and Equal).

Experiment with the herb butterbur as a preventative. This plant (Petasites hybridus), native to Europe, northern Africa and southwestern Asia has been clinically studied. Results of a small study published in the May, 2000, issue of the journal Headache showed that an extract of butterbur root significantly reduced the frequency of migraine attacks among the 58 patients participating. If you decide to try it, avoid the crude herb, which contains toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs). Instead, choose PA-free butterbur extracts standardized to contain a minimum of 7.5 mg of petasin and isopetasin. The adult dosage ranges from 50-100 mg twice daily with meals. Side effects are rare.

You can also try feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium), 100-150 mg daily of a product standardized to contain at least 0.2 percent parthenolides. This herb helps prevent the release of substances that dilate blood vessels in the head. You can stay on it indefinitely.

Another option is coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). A study published in the February 22, 2005, issue of Neurology found that CoQ10 was superior to a placebo in preventing migraines. Researchers tested CoQ10 among a group of 43 patients, about half of whom received a placebo. Of the patients who took CoQ10, 50 percent reported significantly reduced frequency of headaches compared to only 14 percent of those who took the placebo. Dosage of CoQ10 in the trial was 100 mg three times daily.

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) can also be helpful, as can magnesium. The recommended dose of riboflavin is 400 mg daily – a high dose, which needs to be prescribed by a physician.

You should first try these therapies individually, and allow enough time – usually six to eight weeks – to experience a change and then judge results before trying the next.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    SFJULES66 wrote: »
    Aimovig once-a-month injection is new and it's changed my life.

@SFJULES66 Can you tell me about your experience with this? I just started last month and am super anxious about it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a magnesium supplement? I've heard it's great for people who suffer from migraines.

Magnesium supplementation is part of the protocol my neurologist has me on, but it's by no means a cure-all. If only it were!
  • SFJULES66
    Options
    @leonadixon, I'm on month 3 and my migraines have become infrequent and very mild. I only have to reach for my rescue medication (Maxalt aka rizitropan) several times a month which is a huge reduction for me. I was getting 3 per week. My only side effect is constipation, which is a bummer. I really like it. How are you doing with it?
  • SFJULES66
    Options
    Butterbur is supposed to work if you want to buy something at the store. My neurologist recommends it to his migraine sufferers. There are clinical studies that prove it works.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Magnesium has helped me.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    @leonadixon, I'm on month 3 and my migraines have become infrequent and very mild. I only have to reach for my rescue medication (Maxalt aka rizitropan) several times a month which is a huge reduction for me. I was getting 3 per week. My only side effect is constipation, which is a bummer. I really like it. How are you doing with it?

I have only had one dose. My second is this weekend. So far, it's like I am not taking anything. Been a very, very rough month for me. What dose are you on? the 70 or 140? I am wondering if I just may need the higher dose...? I have my doctor appointment at the end of this month to discuss.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Aimovig!!!
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ditto for CoQ10. One thing to note is that a form that is water and fat-soluble absorbs better.
    For magnesium, this is another one that you may want to look into the absorption. A citrate or glycinate often absorbs better.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Butterbur is supposed to work if you want to buy something at the store. My neurologist recommends it to his migraine sufferers. There are clinical studies that prove it works.

@SFJULES66 I suffer from migraines and I had never heard of butterbar so I looked it up real quick to check it out and saw where in addition to being used to treat migraines, it's also used to stimulate appetite (from the WebMD site)... maybe not the best supplement for people trying to count calories so just thought I would share before someone ran out to pick it up! LOL

• SFJULES66
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @AmyC2288 Good research, thanks for the information. I had no idea 💡

• VeraB1794
    VeraB1794 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get them all the time! I take meds for it but sometimes I’m to late in taking them the meds don’t work. Working out also triggers mine sometimes. When I have them I take a hot shower and rest. For me that’s the only way mine will go away. Never push yourself if you are uncomfortable. There is always tomorrow! Glad you made a post about this cause a lot of people suffer from migraines and a lot of people don’t understand the severity of them