Here with a will to beat the winter torpor!

Options
Huge_Jack_Man
Huge_Jack_Man Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hello, my names Colton. I have a friend who has tried to get me serious about my heath for a long time now, but I always came up with excuses. I’m a pretty lazy individual. Then 2 years ago, I started getting more active, I rode my bike everywhere I went instead of taking the bus, I was hiking with my friend. I even joined a Karate class. Things were going great. I had more energy, I was eating more controlled portions, I was getting fit. But then... winter came.

My main mode of transportation was my bike so when winter rolled around I couldn’t really go places. My dojo was clear across town and the bus schedule and my karate classes didn’t really sync up, so I was left standing in the cold for over a half hour. I started losing my will and by the time spring rolled around again, I had fallen back into all my bad habits and all my progress was lost.

I remember how happy I felt during the time I was getting fit and I wanted to go back to that, but winter has always been a time where I lose my will to do things. I know there are winter sports I could get into, but to be honest, none of them interest me. Now though, I think I’ve found my solution. I saved up enough money to buy a Exercise Bike. I’ve been using for the past week and I think this could work out. With this new weapon I will combat the winter doldrums and I when I come out the other side, the flowers of spring shall be there to greet me.

Wish me luck everyone. Against Jack Frost, I’ll need every ounce of luck I can get to make it through this alive.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! If this advice is out of line please feel free to disregard (I'm so totally not a doctor), but have you ever heard of Seasonal Affective Disorder? It's essentially depression that is linked to seasonal change (usually winter, but some people experience it in summer). We had a couple of good threads where people shared some really helpful tips; they're old, but the information is still good:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1431740/seasonal-affective-disorder/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1119934/seasonal-affective-disorder

My light box, creatine, Vitamin D and making an effort to be in sunshine every day have really helped reduce my symptoms in the past few years.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Hi! Glad you've found a way to battle through the cold.
  • Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey Huge_Jack_ you're not alone. I think the winter defeats others, me for sure. I undo all the good of the spring and summer every winter. I do believe that SAD does play a part in this as AliceDark mentioned, and her advice and finding your own strategy will help. Winter is too long! For me, I'm determined too, not to let that happen this winter, so I've convinced a couple of my weekend biking friends to go hiking all winter on Saturday mornings. Since we are already in the routine of doing something, we figured we shoudl continue. We have decided to bundle up and go on the many beautiful trails that are available. Right now the leaves are making the hikes quite magical. Actually getting outside makes me feel better and if the sun is shining, a whole lot better. It helps my mood and to have some motivation for other exercise. Maybe give it a try if you can? Good for you for deciding it won't beat you this time and you'll be in great shape for biking season again!