9 Essential Strength Benchmarks for Women

Options
I've been working with a trainer for a few months now and my initial goal was to lose fat and build strength, but I have nothing concrete set as a goal. I was googling strength benchmarks and came across an article on Livestrong that listed these as the 9 Essential Strength Benchmarks for Women.

In reading this, I have to say, I am genuinely intimidated that this is achievable.

So, my question for the women out there . . .

Have you met these benchmarks? If so, what was your starting point and how long did it take?

For reference, I am a 44 year old woman, 117 lbs. I go to the gym 3-4x a week but generally take cardio sculpt type classes. I consider myself more fit than most women my age but, in reading these, I can't even fathom what it would take to meet all these benchmarks. I have never seriously weight trained because I'm very cautious in the gym and don't want to do anything without knowing proper form. These big numbers scare the bejesus out of me!

And my last question - given where I am, is it realistic to let my trainer know these are my goals, and what should I expect as a realistic timeframe to try to accomplish them. Do I start with a few at a time, knock them off my list and then move to the next ones?

9 Essential Strength Benchmarks for Women.

1. Bench Press 75% of BW for 1 rep - haven't done this for a while, but last time I tried I think I did 55lbs
2. Standing Barbell Press at 60% of BW - last time I tried was at 40 lbs
3. 10 Push-ups - I can do this (yay!)
4. 1 Chin up
5. Deadlift 150% BW - I've done 85lbs but my grip strength gives out.
6. Squat 125% of BW - did 85lbs yesterday but felt like I could have definitely done more
7. 10 barbell hip thrusts @ 1.5x BW - usually do about 40lbs for 3 sets of 10
8. hold plank for 2 minutes - I can do this
9. 20 inch box jump - never tried this

Replies

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Must admit that this looks rather interesting!

I'm a 47 year old woman and weigh about 117 lbs right now.
    Following the Strong Curves program (week 4, beginners).

According to this I'm intermediate. Some are lower, couple higher. ..ds7zejcuc9on.jpg
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Anna28518 wrote: »
    Must admit that this looks rather interesting!

I'm a 47 year old woman and weigh about 117 lbs right now.
    Following the Strong Curves program (week 4, beginners).

According to this I'm intermediate. Some are lower, couple higher. ..ds7zejcuc9on.jpg

Wow! Thanks for posting this. Breaking it down like the above chart makes it seem much more achievable. I always viewed the word "benchmark" to mean norm or average. Like, you should at least be able to do this. But the chart you posted to me feels more "real life". I would definitely consider those numbers "advanced".
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    You're welcome @hollyhom

I'm very happy with his program and his down to earth approach suits me to the bone.

Good luck with your training and indeed @sardelsa is right. It's only your journey that counts!

I came from near underweight and barely any strength to where I am now and am proud of that. Long may it continue.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    These 3 links may interest you.
    All give lift ratings.

For my age I am intermediate, compared to someone 20 or 40 years younger- I'm as weak as a kitten (a not swearing kitten)

I find these charts can be interesting/fun, but really all I care about is a slow progression and keeping strength in my muscles and density in my bones.

https://symmetricstrength.com

http://www.kilgoreacademy.com/freebies.html

https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards

Ps, I'm on my phone so the only way to add links is to keep editing, so hang on.

Cheers, h.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I am not a good or consistent lifter and I can hit the hip thrust and deadlift (or at least I could before a recent unplanned hiatus) but none of the rest of them because I don't care about/ enjoy those movements. All it would take for you to hit those benchmarks is just do those things over and over until you get better, barring some sort of physical limitation. But if you don't enjoy doing those things why would you bother?
    Agreed, most women could reach nearly all these benchmarks with a efficient barbell strength training program under their belt in a year if they choose to.

The is a lots of literature that shows the benefits of strength training will not only extending the life of a person, but also quality of the life. It's one reason the females of advanced age have changed their likings that I've witnessed.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    These weights are big goals, not norms and it is ridiculous for them to present it in any other way for the average person, even one who works out. . A “benchmark “ usually is interpreted as a norm.

I haven't read how livestrong presented the benchmarks in entirety, so please forgive me.

Perhaps it was more geared towards guidelines of what could be possible under a good barbell strength program.

I know many people aren't aware of the benefits of strength training and only assume it's not possible for them for whatever reason.

I think the data is that less than 12% of doctors even know the guideline they should be recommending as a base for strength training and less than half of those actually recommend it. This is quite alarming if they are suppose to have a hand in quality of our lives.

It is partially because lack of knowledge and understanding the benefits as most doctors don't train other than cardio based activities.

Is it possibly that livestrong is trying to throw up some red flags on what we are groomed to think is acceptable? I don't know, but I certainly think it's more in the right direction than most doctors would suggest.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    These weights are big goals, not norms and it is ridiculous for them to present it in any other way for the average person, even one who works out. . A “benchmark “ usually is interpreted as a norm.

You should see the ones Livestrong presents for its "benchmarks" for men. Most of those benchmarks push a dude into "advanced" or "elite" on both Strength Level and Symmetric Strength, a database of tens of thousands of logged lifts by body builders and strength athletes... but it's Livestrong, I take anything they say with a healthy dose of skepticism.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yea I can't do any of those. Lol. Except maybe the plank.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    They don't seem like unrealistic goals - average or "normal" I would find highly unlikely, but as good goals, I think they're pretty solid.

Since I'm finding this a little interesting, here is where I am at:

5'7", currently around 152 lbs

1. Bench Press 75% of BW for 1 rep - not sure on 1 rep, I think my best was around 100 pounds (including the bar), so just barely there.
    2. Standing Barbell Press at 60% of BW - 65lbs - so lacking here (should be around 91)
    3. 10 Push-ups - I can do this (yay!) - Yes, can do this
    4. 1 Chin up - Yes, I can do 3
    5. Deadlift 150% BW - I was up to around 155 (including the bar), so shy here, but to be fair, with my bad leg leg stuff I have to be careful with.
    6. Squat 125% of BW - I was around 155 here as well, but same thing as deadlift, my bad leg is still not great.
    7. 10 barbell hip thrusts @ 1.5x BW - Never have done these, so no measure
    8. hold plank for 2 minutes - I can do this, but 2 minutes suuuuucks.
    9. 20 inch box jump - Pretty sure I can do this, again, bad leg makes jumping - well, interesting, but pretty sure I could do 20"
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Body Weight=138lbs ETA: 38 years old

1.Bench PR=150lbs
    2. OHP PR=80lbs
    3. Don't do push ups
    4. 12 chin ups once/a single 45lb weighted chin once/currently 5x5 pull-ups
    5. DL PR=280lbs
    6. Squat PR= 210lbs
    7. Haven't done hip thrusts in awhile, but was repping 225 for sets of 8
    8. Planks for 2 minutes: check
    9. No box jumps for me...I'm just strong, not athletic and would break my ankle.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Weight 67kg

1. Bench Press 75% of BW for 1 rep - I can do 45kg for 3 not tested 1rpm for a long time (67%bw)
    2. Standing Barbell Press at 60% of BW - last tested 1rpm was 35kg and that's strict, could probably do more if it was a push press and involved the legs (52%bw)
    3. 10 Push-ups - I can do 20+
    4. 1 Chin up - working on pull ups atm
    5. Deadlift 150% BW - pr 98.5kg (147%bw)
    6. Squat 125% of BW - pr 75kg (1.12%bw)
    7. 10 barbell hip thrusts just added these in to my leg day currently doing 3x10@40kg (going up 5kg/week)
    8. hold plank for 2 minutes - Yep, on elbows or hands. Side planks for 1min max
    9. 20 inch box jump - My PT is currently teaching me these, I'm up to about 10" but it's more a confidence thing

I've been dialling the strength stuff back this year, concentrating on my running and only lifting to compliment that rather than to actually go as heavy as possible. I could possibly beat all those lifts now, but have been going for lighter weight and higher volume and can't risk injury so am not going for any prs. Increasing weight each week but am currently doing :

Bench 5x10@29kg
    Shoulder press 5x10@21kg
    Back Squat 5x10@34kg
    Hex bar deadlift 5x10@54kg

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    hollyhom wrote: »
    I've been working with a trainer for a few months now and my initial goal was to lose fat and build strength, but I have nothing concrete set as a goal. I was googling strength benchmarks and came across an article on Livestrong that listed these as the 9 Essential Strength Benchmarks for Women.

In reading this, I have to say, I am genuinely intimidated that this is achievable.

So, my question for the women out there . . .

Have you met these benchmarks? If so, what was your starting point and how long did it take?

For reference, I am a 44 year old woman, 117 lbs. I go to the gym 3-4x a week but generally take cardio sculpt type classes. I consider myself more fit than most women my age but, in reading these, I can't even fathom what it would take to meet all these benchmarks. I have never seriously weight trained because I'm very cautious in the gym and don't want to do anything without knowing proper form. These big numbers scare the bejesus out of me!

And my last question - given where I am, is it realistic to let my trainer know these are my goals, and what should I expect as a realistic timeframe to try to accomplish them. Do I start with a few at a time, knock them off my list and then move to the next ones?

1. Bench Press 75% of BW for 1 rep - haven't done this for a while, but last time I tried I think I did 55lbs
    2. Standing Barbell Press at 60% of BW - last time I tried was at 40 lbs
    3. 10 Push-ups - I can do this (yay!)
    4. 1 Chin up
    5. Deadlift 150% BW - I've done 85lbs but my grip strength gives out.
    6. Squat 125% of BW - did 85lbs yesterday but felt like I could have definitely done more
    7. 10 barbell hip thrusts @ 1.5x BW - usually do about 40lbs for 3 sets of 10
    8. hold plank for 2 minutes - I can do this
    9. 20 inch box jump - never tried this

The first two, my best friend can do them, is in her mid-40s, it took her 5 years of weight lifting under a trainer to get there, plus she was already athletic, she transitioned to lifting from years of martial arts. She called me last month to say she finally can bench her BW :) I have been an amateur lifter for several years, without a trainer and I can bench press 50% of my BW for 1 rep on a good day and have no intention of testing if I can do better. I am not allowed to lift from standing position, so definitely cannot do the second.
    10 push-ups sounds relatively easy for most people if they seriously try it and not give up in the process.
    Chin ups are my goal for 2019 so nice to see I can consider it a benchmark if I make it :)
    I am not allowed to deadlift or squat anymore, but I do not think I ever managed going over my bodyweight, or even at 75% of my bodyweight.
    I hate hip thrusts, so not going to try, it was a looong time ago I realised I just hate this exercise
    Planks I can do for several minutes, but it comes from doing years of pilates, not pure "strength" training, I recently had a "fun" class where all exercises started at plank position and the whole thing lasted 45 minutes. Could not sneeze or laugh for the rest of the week without crying in pain.
    Box jumps I used to when younger, from what I recall definitely more than 20 inches. I bet I could do it even now, but I think my dr would kill me and I would lose a leg in the process :)