How do you calculate calories when you're clueless?

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
edited November 2018 in Getting Started
I'm going to fundraiser that my job sponsors. It's one of those fundraising evenings where they serve the little horderves.

Its catered by a local place not a chain so the calories of those horderves could be...well anything really. I have no way of finding out.

So how would I track those calories?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    I'm going to fundraiser that my job sponsors. It's one of those fundraising evenings where they serve the little horderves.

Its catered by a local place not a chain so the calories of those horderves could be...well anything really. I have no way of finding out.

So how would I track those calories?

Generally try to figure out what's likely to be there, look for something similar in the database, log that, and use the number as a 'budget'. So if I planned on having (I know you said hors d'oeuvres, but let's use dessert) a vanilla cookie and they have chocolate chip, I know that most cookies are 70 to 90 if they're not those 8" giant ones. It's not that hard to think "I planned on two vanilla cookies, two chocolate chip are maybe another 40 calories. Close enough."

That being said, I do avoid certain items where the calories are likely to be both high and harder to estimate. Best example I can come up with is "salads that contain a lot of dressing/mayo and minimal low-calorie vegetables". Basically, I don't eat potato/egg/pasta salads unless I have the nutritional info in front of me, because the amount of mayo that goes into those can vary wildly and it's not exactly something you can eyeball. But that's me. Short 40-something woman who's on 1360 calories before exercise to lose 1/2lb per week. Depending on your calorie budget, you might have more room to play around.
  • mtdb8
    mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great advice.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This was a really helpful thread.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid eating at those things. Or usually there’s some veggies I can munch on that will be easier to guess the calories of.
  • Carneyje3
    Carneyje3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm only two weeks in, but when I'm in doubt I'll find similar items in the food database and choose the one with the highest calories (within reason). Then I have some sort of idea for the worst case scenario.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would guess. I would definitely log it, because I always log and I think that's a necessary part of my success. I usually have at least one day per week that I am over my calories by 500-1000 and it doesn't affect my weight as long as I stay on plan the rest of the week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'd pre-log a big chunk of calories, more than you actually think you will eat. Always estimate high for food you didn't cook yourself.

I don't think that "don't eat any of it" is sustainable long-term advice, unless you actually don't want to eat any of it. We're all going to have events in our lives when we wind up eating more than usual. It's best to figure out how to deal with those rather than just trying to avoid them. But if you don't actually want to eat the food at the event, then plan on a meal or substantial snack beforehand and stick to low or no calorie drinks at the event.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    The range of advice is interesting. I lean towards don’t eat it. I’ve learned that passed hors d’oeuvres often look like exquisite little works of art but taste meh. They’re not worth the effort to log or the huge margin of error ...to me. But I don’t love them, so it’s easiest to abstain. If creative hors d’oeuvres are your thing, it’s worth coming up with a strategy for events like this. (E.g. I will have 3 quarter sized pieces and log it as x). If they offer crudités, I’ll have some if I actually want some, as jgnatca says, without dip.

It is so easy to mindlessly eat 500 calories but I never, ever mindless burn 500 calories.

My “heavy hors d’oeuvres” (instead of dinner) party strategy is not showing up hungry and having a plan for an actual meal before or after. If I show up hungry, a glass of wine is the express train to IDGAF. Even if I’m eating raw carrots and celery in the car on the way there, at least I’m not hungry when I arrive. If there’s no time for an actual meal before, I make a plan for a meal after and leave at a reasonable time. I just don’t like making a meal of appetizers (not a small plates fan either).

I hope you enjoy your event.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I think the big danger at events like these are that if you give yourself "permission" to let go for the event you'll pig out and regret it later. I think it's an opportunity to enjoy an outing with your coworkers so you don't want to ruin it by not participating. Between the two is a middle road. Choose a few things that you think you'll enjoy and eat them slowly and savor every bite. Just don't go overboard. One drink of choice and mingle and chat a lot. Scan the data base a bit and see if you can get an idea of how much it was, or use the "quick add" function and just ballpark. One function won't ruin your good work, but if the food had a high sodium content, you'll have water retention for a few days.