Do you have a trail name?

Options
I went hiking recently with an old friend, who's been doing a lot of trail running. We chatted about everything, and she had a story about getting in trouble with some friends for using their trail names in a formal setting.

I don't have a trail name. My curiosity piqued, I found out most of my hiking friends don't have trail names either. Maybe we're not cool enough. We all just use our given names.

Do you have a trail name? (So we're all on the same page, you can't pick one for yourself, somebody else has to choose one for you.)

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Glad to read that not only am I not alone, I'm in good company too!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My husband and I talk about it a lot, but so far nothing has stuck. Maybe soon.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

Oooh! I have a gym name, it is “Swamp Thing”.

Ha! awesome!

I don't think I have a gym name, but I give the regulars at my gym nicknames (which I don't use to their faces - just to talk about them to other people). So unless they all think of me as some name or other, then no, I have no name in anything... :(

And wow, had no idea about trail names. Count me in the uncool club.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    "hiked" not "height"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    No, I've never even heard of this. But I don't have friends, either, so...

hahaha same...
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Man I suck. I think we should all give each other trail names.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it, but as I'm not a hiker I don't have one, myself.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Hmm, trail runner and hiker here, and no trail name. In fact, I've never heard of that. Then again, I hike and run with family and they already have names for me...
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I mostly run alone, and I like it that way, but it means there's no one to give me a trail (road?) name :(

I hike with my husband, who would probably come up with a trail name if I asked him to, but that seems like cheating.

Another writing professor and I were on a relay team once. We were "The Run-Ons." :)
  • Jadesfire93
    Jadesfire93 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For some reason I thought trail names were only given on the Triple Crown trails- PCT, CDT, Appalachian. That's probably misinformed, but that's the only context in which I've ever heard of them being used.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If I trail run alone, who's going to give it to me??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this...but while I do hike, it's not all that often...usually when I'm camping. I do have a cycling buddy who calls me "smokey" because I used to be a heavy cigarette smoker and now I vape.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Originally it was mostly be an AT thing. When there are 5 Jim's and 8 Mike's on the trail, it's easier to differentiate them by Bald Eagle, Hobbling Mule, Three Bears, etc. than to remember last names. It was a way of keeping your individuality when there were a lot of thruhikers out there. (Of course, one year there were 3 Yogis, and 2 Bald Eagles, but they were spread far apart.) When I thruhiked the AT, almost everyone had a trail name. When we hiked the CDT and PCT (in 1999 and 2000), only the people who had hiked the AT first had trail names. We dropped ours on the western trails because there weren't many hikers then. It was easy to know who was who. Now that you have hordes of thruhikers on all the trails, trail names are more popular.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it!