Addiction causing foods and cheat days

Options
2»

Replies

• R4U1R0DR1GU3Z
    R4U1R0DR1GU3Z Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca I just love the diminish and redirect strategy. Im already dreading not eating my Sunday cheat day breakfast already, I know it's not rational. But this strategy gave me hope. Diminish, it's just food and Redirect, wow!!! Never even considered what I'm missing out on. That drive for reward from food is so powerful, it's ridiculous but true for some of us. I'm treating it like a drug habit, like the lie that it is and hopefully get back on track to losing the 40 pounds I've left to go.
  • orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get it. I have these mental arguments with myself about how well I've eaten all day and how it would be ok to sneak something in and then my other half tells myself not to ruin the day. It's exhausting. And I look forward to my weekly cheat meal, but sometimes it turns into multiple "mini" cheat meals throughout the week. I know I have a highly addictive personality, both of my parents are/were alcoholics, and my addiction is junk food. I've found that I enjoy real, home cooked food more than some of my old staples, but candy and sweets are still super tempting and delicious. I wish more than anything that I had better self-control but I don't so I do the best I can.
  • R4U1R0DR1GU3Z
    R4U1R0DR1GU3Z Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @orngnerdz I struggled with other way harsher addictions and it's the same with food, with lesser social consequences. I've found out it's not about self control but little tricks, like filling yourself up with nutritious food so you're less likely to be tempted. Also, I'm addicted to junk food so getting rid of it, not letting it in my system, diminishes physical cravings. Like a drug or alcohol, once you have a little taste it's all downhill from there. My biggest struggle now is the mental aspect of it, not imagining my life without sweets. Which is one of the symptoms of addiction. Thankfully as others have mentioned, the more you go without junk food, the more the cravings will lose their power.