Considering increasing exercise over winter - what should I focus on?

Options
I’m pretty much at maintenance level now, I don’t exercise at all but I’m a gardener so physically active most is year - im considering adding more intentional exercise for winter months but not sure what to do.
I don’t want to be out in the cold and I don’t want to burn a lot of calories, I don’t really want to spend a lot either - any suggestions please?

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think a body weight routine at home sounds quite good, not sure where to start though
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Look at fitnessblender on YouTube, they do free workouts you can do at home
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    I think a body weight routine at home sounds quite good, not sure where to start though

there's some in here i believe:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

my other advice would be to do whatever you enjoy
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I’ll take a look :)
    Will have to see if I need to increase calories for intentional exercise, I suspect as I will be less active generally I can prob stay the same.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about doing laps at the pool?

Inexpensive home equipment include water jugs (the ones with handles), stairs, and resistance bands.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/fitness/training/resistance.html

YouTube videos for ideas.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I’ll take a look :)
    Will have to see if I need to increase calories for intentional exercise, I suspect as I will be less active generally I can prob stay the same.

Weightlifting does not burn a lot of calories. It will still be less than regular gardening. But it does sound like something like fitnessblender would fit the bill. I doubt you will have to eat any more though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty much at maintenance level now, I don’t exercise at all but I’m a gardener so physically active most is year - im considering adding more intentional exercise for winter months but not sure what to do.
    I don’t want to be out in the cold and I don’t want to burn a lot of calories, I don’t really want to spend a lot either - any suggestions please?

I miss my garden in the winter too so bundle up and do trail maintenance. I find pruning very meditative and cleaning up trails satisfies that gardening itch for me.

There's no cold weather - there's just insufficient outerwear ;)
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises.
    Step aerobics (all you need is sneakers and a step platform thing, I am sure you can find routines on YouTube)
    Maybe some hand weights or a kettlebell

I am very active when the weather is nice, but hate snow. The above are the things I am considering for inside exercise this winter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good god I’ve just done one fitness blender workout and feel like I’m dying :( !!

:laugh:
  • takemetosingapore2019
    Options
    I like to combine getting outside in winter with exercise since most people hibernate. I like to snowshoe, hike, ski, go for winter runs etc. I bought weights for my condo too so I can do some weighted exercises at home :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    As long as it's sunny, I'll be cross country skiing or snowshoeing on weekends. But based on the weather experts, it looks like it could be a gray and wet winter with more rain than snow here. Those are the winter I hate.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If you have room in your basement: a punching bag - about $100.00 for a 100 lb. bag, a pair of boxing gloves and wraps, a jump rope, a floor mat (for burpees, planks, ab work and the like) and two 8 lb hand weights. Voila - under $200.00!! :) If you live where there are cold winters like I do, it helps to be able to punch the s**t out of something when you're stuck inside - LOL.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Brisk walks in cool air (free).

An online workout subscription: Fitness Blender, Daily Burn, Les Mills On Demand, Beachbody (low monthly cost, usually under $15 per month; may require some equipment like bands, light weights, step).

An in-person class: I really enjoy classes at the gym--more than I thought I would since I primarily run alone. My running is sidetracked due to injury at the moment, but if you like cycling, maybe a spin class. I also dig body bump style classes. ($25-$$$ per month)

Lift: You could just go all in and join a gym and start a progressive lifting program and get swol.