How accurate is the BMR calculation on this site?

Options
Hey there, I'd like to find out what my BMR is without including exercise (e.g. sedentary activity). I have tried different online calculators, and each shows a different number, but the one on MFP has the biggest difference. How accurate is it and how could I get the most accurate BMR calculation?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to know?

all calculataions are estimates... pick one... again, why do you need to know?

Anyway BMR isn't sedentary activity, it is BMR, so what you would burn in a coma. even if you are sedentary you need to add additional cals for walking from your bed to sofa, brushing your teeth etc etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There are various formulas for BMR but none of them include exercise as it's an estimate of basic bodily functions while at total rest and in a fasted state. As such it's not really that useful on its own assuming you aren't bed-bound.

What is your reason for wanting to estimate yours?

This site does it for you when you do your goal set up and then uses a non-exercise activity multiplier unlike TDEE sites that also estimate BMR but then apply a combined activity and exercise multiplier.

How accurate? Probably more accurate than most people's logging accuracy!
    "Worked for me" or "didn't work for me" is very likely to be a reflection of someone's logging and not going to be particularly helpful.