Swim tracker

Options
Looking for an accurate tracker that tracks heartbeat, distance swum and calories. Could you recommend me some?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    some of the high end Garmins track swimming i think
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch does it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch does it.

Series 2 and above.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch does it.

Series 2 and above.

Correct. I presumed that anyone looking for a new device wasn't going to get a several-year-old model.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    some of the high end Garmins track swimming i think

For most, to get heartbeat you need a paired chest strap. I don't think any of the Garmins record wrist based HR while swimming.

I know I can pair my F3HR with a HR-swim or HR-tri and get HR while swimming. But then you need to decide if you are pool swimming (need the HR Swim) or open water swimming (either work).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Open water or pool laps?

All the suggestions are fine for ows. There are no great automatic trackers for pools
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch does it.

Series 2 and above.

Correct. I presumed that anyone looking for a new device wasn't going to get a several-year-old model.

Probably not, but priced the way they are it could make a 1 look attractive enough.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My garmin does it, and very well at that. I was actually pretty impressed with the accuracy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Open water or pool laps?

All the suggestions are fine for ows. There are no great automatic trackers for pools

I use my Garmin 920xt in the pool (it has a pool swim setting) and tracks your metre / yards as long as it knows whether it's a 25m or 50m pool. With the tri HRM I can also track heart rate (I usually only do this for OWS). The only glitch I've found with it is that if you don'y push off the wall with sufficient force it can miss a turn.

OP as the Garmin 920xt is officially discontinued you can find some great deals on them
  • swimonster
    swimonster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use COUNTU Goal as my daily swimming tracker. It’s finger ring device and fairly easy to use. COUNTU Goal has a very useful function, lap/time vibrate alarm function. Would recommend.

6wujtryzmtsz.jpg
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I used to use a basic finger ring counter.
    Final went and got a Fenix 5X.
    Love it.
    The Fenix 5S series chines in different face sizes to accommodate different wrist sizes.
    My number 1 argument against getting an apple watch is that it is delicate jewelry. How else can one describe something made with a glass dome face. It would never survive what I put my Garmin through.
    I swim a lot so I don't waste money on the swimming HR transmitter. Every review says the strap doesn't last long.
    I tried using a Polar in the pool once. That was before I got the Garmin. Strap keeps flipping over on every push off. That is probably not an issue for women who wear the strap under a one piece suit.

Regarding calories, I don't synch mine. I use the MFP swim calorie calculator because it is a lower number.