Need advice!

Options
Hi , I am a 49 year old male, i am 167 CM tall and weigh 85.5kg.
I lost weight previously reaching 79 kg but i also lost a lot of muscle mass in the process.

Now I want to go through a program to build muscle and lose weight at the same time with a target of 75kg with the majority of loss from fat.

I am currently going on 1200 calories per day and do moderate weight lifting training (full body ) and moderate cardio (jogging 4.5m/hour 15 to 20 min) 4 times a week

Any advice is appreciated if I am on the correct path.

Replies

• tarekhamouda7445
    tarekhamouda7445 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comment, I tend to gain weight eating anything over 1500, don't know why! but actually that was before I started the weight lifting training, I am also intermittent fasting from 3PM to 7AM, thanks again
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comment, I tend to gain weight eating anything over 1500, don't know why! but actually that was before I started the weight lifting training, I am also intermittent fasting from 3PM to 7AM, thanks again

Do you use a food scale to weigh everything you eat, and log it religiously, no skipping, cheating or forgetting? If not, you're probably eating more calories than you think. Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    I am using a scale religiously , thanks for advice!
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    Thanks sijomial, actually i started weighing my food recently, i didn't before, i am 30% body fat, so if I stick to 1500, will that help me build muscle and lose fat?
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options

That's weird. You weigh/log everything that passes your lips? Cooking oils, salad dressings, caloric drinks? Are you willing to make your food diary public?

You should be able to eat more calories and still lose weight. I'm female, 43 years old, 5'9", 180 lbs and can lose on 2000 calories a day.

I actually started recently weighing very strictly.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

That's weird. You weigh/log everything that passes your lips? Cooking oils, salad dressings, caloric drinks? Are you willing to make your food diary public?

You should be able to eat more calories and still lose weight. I'm female, 43 years old, 5'9", 180 lbs and can lose on 2000 calories a day.

How recently? Give any change at least 4 weeks to see how it's working, then adjust from there.
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options

How recently? Give any change at least 4 weeks to see how it's working, then adjust from there.

Thanks
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks sijomial, actually i started weighing my food recently, i didn't before, i am 30% body fat, so if I stick to 1500, will that help me build muscle and lose fat?

I highly doubt you'll build much muscle at 1500, but I suspect you're eating more than you think.
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    I must have been off then, I will give it try at 1500!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Previously when you saw an increase in weight when eating over 1500, how long did you eat at over 1500? If it was only for a few days to a week, then it probably wasn't fat but water weight from increased sodium and carbs.
    Your calories are way too low. 1500 is the minimum for males. If you're weight lifting and only wanting to lose 10 kgs, you should be eating way more than that. Set up this website to lose 0.5 lbs per week (or the kilo equivalent) and eat that.

I'm going to agree with @quiksylver and @sijomial. Cutting back to .5 pound loss per week (which if I'm remembering correctly is .25 kilo) since you have so little left to lose. You will see a jump in the scales because of the sodium and carbs but it will drop off eventually. Going at a slower rate will give you a chance to get used to the idea of eating more at maintenance and, as @sijomial said, it will make it easier to retain muscle. From everything I have seen, it's hard to create muscle mass when in such a steep calorie deficit.

Also, as others have said, weighing everything and giving any change 4-6 weeks are both important. You'll also want to make sure that your deficit is a net deficit so making sure to eat back at least part of your exercise calories. I know many people start with eating back half and then, after 4-6 weeks, seeing if your numbers are doing what you expect them to do.

Good luck!
  • tarekhamouda7445
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Just to update so everyone can benefit from my post

I have been on eating 5 times a day 1500 calories plus exercise (cardio plus weights) and I am losing weight , not fast as I am used to but losing weight

I was comparing to periods were I went on very restricted calories and lost very fast a lot of weight (fat and muscle )

Hopefully this time I will loose less muscle mass and more fat

Thanks to everyone
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I have been on eating 5 times a day 1500 calories plus exercise (cardio plus weights) and I am losing weight , not fast as I am used to but losing weight

I was comparing to periods were I went on very restricted calories and lost very fast a lot of weight (fat and muscle )

Thanks to everyone

How much weight have you lost?
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories and weigh yourself less. The number doesn't mean anything if you're losing inches and gaining lean muscle.
  • tarekhamouda7445
    edited November 2018
    Options

Thanks to everyone

How much weight have you lost?

Well on weight not much 2 kilos but in inches at least 2 inches
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    CandiCulek wrote: »
    Eat more calories and weigh yourself less. The number doesn't mean anything if you're losing inches and gaining lean muscle.

exactly, I weigh plus or minus the same but clothes fit much more now, no more buttons trying to jump out of their place.