Not losing weight - please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Online calculators are usually TDEE calculation which include your exercise, MFP uses NEAT calculation to give you your daily burn not including intentional exercise.

That is important piece of data^^

Using scoobyworkshop, your BMR (the amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight if you were in a coma) is approximately 1742.

To maintain your current weight with your current activity (TDEE), you need approximately 2396 calories.

TDEE - 20% is approximately 1917 calories. Start there. After 4-6 weeks, if you are losing too quickly, eat more. If you are losing too slowly, eat less.

mpbtmcfko6zy.jpg

Thankyou so much for all your help, both of you!:) so should I eat 1917 then? I’m so bad at this, what kind of things would I be able to eat to make it up to that amount? At the moment I skip breakfast occasionally.

Whatever you like to eat! I skip breakfast, too. Well, I don't really skip it, I just push it back to about 9:30, even though I'm up at 3:45.

Try to get enough protein. That takes some trial and error to get in the habit.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Online calculators are usually TDEE calculation which include your exercise, MFP uses NEAT calculation to give you your daily burn not including intentional exercise.

Using scoobyworkshop, your BMR (the amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight if you were in a coma) is approximately 1742.

To maintain your current weight with your current activity (TDEE), you need approximately 2396 calories.

TDEE - 20% is approximately 1917 calories. Start there. After 4-6 weeks, if you are losing too quickly, eat more. If you are losing too slowly, eat less.

mpbtmcfko6zy.jpg

Thankyou so much for all your help, both of you!:) so should I eat 1917 then? I’m so bad at this, what kind of things would I be able to eat to make it up to that amount? At the moment I skip breakfast occasionally.

Whatever you like to eat! I skip breakfast, too. Well, I don't really skip it, I just push it back to about 9:30, even though I'm up at 3:45.

Try to get enough protein. That takes some trial and error to get in the habit.

I don't know how you do that! I'm up at 4:00 (okay, okay....4:09 :D ), have a 250-300 calorie smoothie before my workout that's mostly powerlifting and am STILL about to chew my arm off by the time I get to my office around 7:30! Like, I try not to chat with people on my way in because it's embarrassing when my stomach growls!

Just goes to show how different we all are when it comes to meal timing....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options

mpbtmcfko6zy.jpg

If you're feeling full but need to add calories, some easy ways to do that are higher-fat items (nuts, nut butter, avocados, full-fat dairy products instead of reduced fat, olive oil for cooking or on salads, etc.). These add calories with little volume.

Once you've gotten enough protein, enough fats, and lots of nice veggies/fruits for micronutrients and fiber, there's nothing wrong with having some less nutrient-dense treat foods that fit in your calorie goal. You don't really get bonus points for extra nutrition, once you fill your needs - not that there's anything wrong with adding nutrient-dense foods, either.

You can skip breakfast, or not, as you prefer. What matters for weight loss is your calorie intake (though good nutrition is important for health, of course). Meal timing is pretty much irrelevant, other than as it affects your satiation and ability to stick with your calorie goal. Elite athletes may manipulate intake timing to squeeze out that last 0.5% better athletic performance, but for us regular folks, meal timing is all about practicality, satiation, and enjoyment.
  • xDramaQueen995x
    xDramaQueen995x Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you so so much everyone, this has helped me so much and I will definitely report back! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Weighed in, I have lost 1.5 lbs! YAY! I’ve been eating 1,500-1,600 and doing 500 cal exercise per day, so that seems to be working! Also had a cheat meal at the weekend :)

Yay! Thanks for letting us know - it's always fun to learn how things are turning out, especially when the news is positive.