Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Show us one study that shows people eating less than they burn and gaining weight, and one that shows people eating more than they burn and losing weight. Do not bodybuilders inject insulin and get to sub 5% bodyfat.

bodybuilders use insulin to build mass
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html
    Also, they get a disgusting fat belly from using insulin. That's how you can tell that they are taking insulin.

Need a study, an actual study, not something from Bodybuildingdotcom. Those guys are still at 5% bodyfat. Please explain their very low body fat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Monk_E_Boy wrote: »
    Monk_E_Boy wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Well two perfectly logical explanations exist:

1. The body's hormones are capable of creating or destroying matter and energy at the whim of the intermittent fasting participant.
    2. Some people in the study's sample were insulin resistant, and the reduction in insulin caused a reduction in their appetite, and subsequently a reduction in caloric intake that was not captured by the study.

If I were a gambling man, which I am, I would lay my money on number 2.

Also, those of us who are insulin resistant, 100 cals of candy will have different effects on our appetite (and balance, and heart rate, and the jack - hammer that it can trigger inside of our crania) than 100 cals of broccoli, but those differences do not include a greater metabolic advantage in terms of the energy derived from eating one vs. the other.

1.) see my previous response.
    2.) insulin is not an appetite hormone (although ghrelin is). It’s a storage hormone, and there’s nothing inherently WRONG with it. Without it, humans wouldn’t have made it this far.
    But, high levels of it for prolonged periods of time can make our cells resistant to its effects, so our body has to produce MORE insulin in order to get the same effect (like how it takes more and more alcohol to get the same amount of drunk over time). This creates a vicious circle.
    IF helps break the cycle by lowering insulin levels for prolonged periods of time, slowly allowing your cells to once again become sensitive to its effects (like if you haven’t had a drink in a year, you’re back to getting that same amount of drunk with much less alcohol).

What is your source for claims in 2 being the cause of insulin resistance? All medical sources I've read state otherwise.

That high levels over prolonged periods of time create resistance? Isn’t that how most things work in the body? Alcohol, drugs, sustained loud noises, etc.?

So you have no source.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Show us one study that shows people eating less than they burn and gaining weight, and one that shows people eating more than they burn and losing weight. Do not bodybuilders inject insulin and get to sub 5% bodyfat.

bodybuilders use insulin to build mass
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html
    Also, they get a disgusting fat belly from using insulin. That's how you can tell that they are taking insulin.

Need a study, an actual study, not something from Bodybuildingdotcom. Those guys are still at 5% bodyfat. Please explain their very low body fat.

Then go look for one. They are far away from 5% bodyfat. They probably take a bunch of other steroids to reduce the amount of fat while keeping that large amount of muscle. Usually bodybuilders "cut" before a show, meaning they go on very disciplined diets to reduce the amount of fat in a short time. Getting to 5% bodyfat is extremely hard but totally possible (for a man) if you eat right and train hard.

I'm looking, help me out.